New York May Place Security Cameras in City Subway Cars
One of the largest rapid transit systems in the world investigates the placement of security cameras in subway cars to deter crime. The Security Product Depot offers tips on staying safe during a commute.
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) July 14, 2014
New York may follow Chicago’s lead by placing security cameras in all city subway cars. Although there are currently more than 4,000 surveillance cameras installed in the subway system, none have been placed in subway cars. Currently, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is studying the pros and cons of the potential installation.
John Samuelsen, President of Transport Workers Union Local 100, states, “Cameras are ubiquitous throughout the systems. Why not inside train cars? Anything that improves security and helps our conductors keep riders safe is a positive,” per Daily News.
Crime on New York subways has decreased over the last decade; however, an excessive number of felony crimes amounting to an average of 5.9 felony arrests per day continues.
The Security Product Depot offers the following tips on protecting yourself during a subway commute:
Turn expensive jewelry with gems towards your palm.
- Men should keep their wallets in their front pocket and women should hold their purse in front of them.
- Keep your electronics hidden. They are an easy target for thieves that resell the goods they steal.
- Ride in the conductor’s car. They can alert authorities in case of an emergency.
- A criminal doesn’t want attention drawn to them. If someone in a car is pressing against you inappropriately, yell at them, blow a whistle or do anything that will attract attention to him, plus your gain allies from others in the car.
- Don’t use the subway at night when the trains are less infrequent. Most crimes occur then when the subways are less crowded and people are spending more time waiting.
- Carry pepper spray and a whistle where they can be quickly retrieved.
- Stay alert! Don’t dose off of the subway car or get distracted, leaving you vulnerable for an attack.
The Security Product Depot is an established online provider of physical security products and security information. They are committed to offering a broad array of the latest technology to help their clients protect their assets and property.