Cherry Bekaert Benefits Consulting Announces the 2014 Affordable Care Act Survey Results
CBBC's Affordable Care Act Survey asked employers how the new healthcare reform affected their business decisions.
(PRWEB) July 21, 2014
Receiving hundreds of responses, Cherry Bekaert Benefits Consulting LLC (“CBBC”) is pleased to announce the results from its 2014 Affordable Care Act Survey (“ACA Survey”).
Evaluating how the ACA is impacting employers and their business decisions, the survey was issued in May 2014. Questions covered topics such as hiring practices, cost impact of the ACA, medical plans and insurance benefits. CBBC specializes in consultation, implementation and administrative services for group health and welfare plans, including assessing and advising on the impact of the ACA. The survey was initiated to better understand how companies are handling the uncertainty and ever-changing rules created by the ACA.
Key results from the CBBC’s ACA Survey include the following:
- Employers say the ACA is driving costs higher. About 83 percent of respondents believe that the ACA will continue to put upward pressure on medical plan costs.
- The ACA has had a significant impact on hiring practices. One out of four respondents are hiring more part-time workers, with another 14.5 percent considering similar action.
- ACA results in fewer employer sponsored medical plans. Almost 25 percent of respondents indicated they are considering the elimination of employer-sponsored plans.
- Increasing costs of medical plans are affecting other employer sponsored benefits. 25.7 percent of respondents indicated they have already reduced expenditures or are considering such action on dental, vision and life coverage’s as a result of the ACA’s impact on medical plan costs.
- Employers believe the ACA will have negative impact on business. 73 percent of respondents indicated that the ACA will negatively impact profits.
In working with clients on the impact of the ACA and evaluating the results of the survey, some key findings are as follows:
- Employers are taking steps to control the cost of health insurance by either increasing contributions and/or reducing benefit levels.
- In transferring cost burden to participating employees, the results are contradictory to stated objectives of ACA as it will be more difficult and costly for participants to access health care.
- More and more employers are changing full-time positions to part-time to avoid employer requirements of the law which could negatively impact employee morale, productivity and loyalty.
- Employers are frustrated with complexities, costs and administrative burdens imposed by ACA and increasingly considering the elimination or reduction of employee benefit plans
- Overall perception and trending impact of the law is negative with ACA reducing profits and making it more difficult for businesses to compete.
Complete survey results are available here.
About Cherry Bekaert Benefits Consulting LLC
Cherry Bekaert Benefits Consulting LLC ("CBBC") provides access to top talent and resources who can assist clients in navigating the complexities associated with implementation of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act ("ACA"). CBBC specializes in providing consultation, implementation and administrative services for group health and welfare plans, including assessing and advising on the impact of the ACA. With a focus on optimizing the bottom line and generating growth, CBBC works with clients to develop long-term solutions for employee benefits and retirement plans, compensation and human resource programs, and provides merger & acquisition due diligence services related to compensation & benefits and risk management issues. | http://www.cherrybekaertbenefits.com