Farmington Hills, MI (PRWEB) August 14, 2014
The IRS is warning individuals and businesses to steer clear of the following popular tax scams in 2014:
1) Identity theft or identity fraud—Never give out your social security number, birthdate, name or address to somebody you don’t know. Their attempt may be to claim a tax refund that belongs to you.
2) Telephone requests for payment of Federal taxes—Back taxes should never be paid by prepaid debit cards. This payment method is untraceable and is always a scam.
3) Phishing to acquire personal, sensitive information—Be aware that the IRS never contacts taxpayers by email. Forward the email to your tax professional for a second opinion.
4) Return preparer fraud—Never hire tax return preparers who promise large refunds who have never even reviewed your current or past tax returns. Make sure the tax return preparer always signs your return and uses a PTIN number, which is registered with the IRS.
5) Hiding income using offshore banks—Be mindful of claims by advisors who can place your investments offshore to prevent paying income taxes on the earnings.
6) Phony charities or impersonation of charitable organizations—Watch out for unsolicited requests for charitable donations over the phone, by email or snail mail.
7) Fraudulent tax credits—Do not include income that was never earned on your tax return to claim refundable credits.
8) Frivolous tax arguments—When responding to tax notices, do not make “frivolous” arguments with the IRS. There are several common frivolous arguments made by individuals who oppose compliance with tax laws, all of which have all been rejected by the courts.
9) Investments—Do not purchase tax shelter investments which seem too good to be true without asking for independent advice.
10) Filing of false Form 1099s—Taxpayers who attempt to either change or file an incorrect information form could be subject to financial penalties or even jail time.
Taxpayers should always be on the lookout for new schemes. For more information on tax scams, contact your professional at UHY LLP in Farmington Hills 248 355 1040 or Sterling Heights 586 254 1040, or visit us on the web at http://www.uhy-us.com.
About UHY Advisors
UHY Advisors provides tax and consulting services to a variety of sectors. UHY LLP, a licensed CPA firm, provides audit and other attest services to public and private companies. UHY Advisors FLVS provides forensic, valuation, intellectual property, electronic discovery and international arbitration services to law firms and their clients. Many of these services grew from client business needs and their requests for assistance in a variety of areas of expertise.
UHY Advisors, operating in an alternative practice structure with UHY LLP, forms one of the largest professional services firms in the US. While that scale might provide confidence for some clients, others tell us our greatest value is the way we bring these resources to bear to help address today’s evolving business challenges. It’s a philosophy we call “The Next Level of Service”. To learn more visit http://www.uhy-us.com.
All of the above entities are members of UHY International, a global network of independent professional services firms that provide audit, tax and consulting services around the world. UHY International member firms comprise one of the top international accounting networks in the world. As a member firm, we provide our clients with resources in business centers strategically located around the globe. We are an active member in this organization with significant participation that brings the power of an international network to bear for our clients.
UHY Advisors, Inc. provides tax and business consulting services through wholly owned subsidiary entities that operate under the name of “UHY Advisors.” UHY Advisors, Inc. and its subsidiary entities are not licensed CPA firms. UHY LLP is a licensed independent CPA firm that performs attest services in an alternative practice structure with UHY Advisors, Inc. and its subsidiary entities. UHY LLP and UHY Advisors, Inc. are U.S. members of Urbach Hacker Young International Limited, a UK company, and form part of the international UHY network of legally independent accounting and consulting firms. “UHY” is the brand name for the UHY international network. Any services described herein are provided by UHY LLP and/or UHY Advisors (as the case may be) and not by UHY or any other member firm of UHY. Neither UHY nor any member of UHY has any liability for services provided by other members.