The new simulators enable our operators to train in new scenarios that did not exist prior to the upgrade.
SYKESVILLE, Md. (PRWEB) December 08, 2014
Global energy services solutions provider GSE Systems, Inc. was chosen by Bruce Power, Canada’s first private nuclear generator, to upgrade the simulators for units 2 and 3 of the company’s Bruce A generating station. The upgrade provides new high-fidelity predictive models that enable more realistic and dynamic training for plant operators and new instructors.
During the project, GSE:
- Replaced the primary heat transport and boiler systems with RELAP5-HD™ real-time thermohydraulic solution to provide accurate results for all modes of plant operation.
- Replaced the reactor core model with GSE’s REMARK™ real-time multi-group reactor simulation.
- Replaced a sub-channel thermohydraulic model with GSE’s JTopmeret™ two-phase fluid modeling tool for each fuel bundle to achieve proper reactivity feedback.
- Replaced the calandria, maintenance cooling, feed and bleed, main feedwater, PHT pump seals and annular gas systems with JTopmeret.
- Integrated its SimExec™ simulation platform with the Western Services 3KEYMASTER platform to improve how Bruce Power authors its own simulation system.
In addition, GSE performed on-site pre-tests and final tests, which included startup, shutdown, transients, malfunctions and emergency tests. GSE also supported Bruce Power in preparing the training scenarios.
“GSE’s new models overcame technical deficiencies that existed in the simulators before the upgrades,” said Cynthia Mercanti, Section Manager Simulator Support for Bruce Power. “The new simulators enable our operators to train in new scenarios that did not exist prior to the upgrade.”
“This project marks GSE’s first CANDU (CANada Deuterium Uranium) reactor simulator upgrade, and was delivered successfully on time, on budget and on spec,” said Mahmoud Nazem, Project Manager for GSE. “This shows that GSE has the right technology and resources to simulate complex systems such as CANDU-type plants.”
About GSE Systems, Inc.
GSE Systems, Inc. provides performance improvement solutions to the energy and process industries. We improve human performance though turnkey training, unique visualization and simulation applications, and our staff of instructors, as well as plant improvement through our engineering expertise and use of technology to improve plant design, commissioning and operations. The Company has more than 300 employees and over four decades of experience as well as more than 1,100 installations and hundreds of customers in over 50 countries spanning the globe. GSE Systems is headquartered in Sykesville (Baltimore), Maryland, with offices in St. Marys, Georgia; Cary, North Carolina; Huntsville, Alabama; Chennai, India; Nyköping, Sweden; Stockton-on-Tees, UK; Glasgow, UK; and Beijing, China. Information about GSE Systems is available at http://www.gses.com.