Holmen, Wisconsin (PRWEB) March 24, 2013
Bard and Book Publishing announce submissions are now being accepted for the 2014 Novel Contest. Authors have until October 1, 2013 to submit their previously unpublished manuscripts and self-published manuscripts into the contest. Judging will take place between October 1, 2013 and February 1, 2014. Winners will be announced Spring 2014.
Suggested Word Count: 30,000 to 120,000 words
- 1 Title Page with title, author name, and contact information
- An outline of the entire novel
- A 1 page synopsis
- The manuscript itself, in size 12 font, 1 inch margins, top, bottom, and sides, single-spaced.
- Previously unpublished manuscripts and self-published manuscripts only.
- Nothing that would be considered NC-17 if it were a movie (No pornographic or erotic material!).
- Humor, satire, drama, etc, are all welcome.
Copyright and Contracts:
- Authors maintain and retain the copyright to their work throughout the entirety of the process.
- If they are extended an offer to publish their winning works, they are under no obligation to accept the offer.
- Awards are disbursed regardless of whether or not an offer to publish is extended.
- Bard and Book may do so, but it is not obligated to extend an offer.
The novel is randomly assigned to one of the Bard and Book authors who will read at least the first fifty pages, write a critique, and decide if the work should be passed on to the next round.
If it is recommended, it then goes to another of the authors, for similar treatment. Depending on the number of entries, the judges will then perform yet another round or begin deliberating over the novels. By the end, the final entries will have been read by all of the authors. The critique will touch on the plot (was it interesting? well constructed?), character development, setting, etc. How honest and blunt do you want the critique? Specify in the entry form!
The value of this writing contest is not found only in the possible award, possible publication, and offer to create an author community, it is also in the feedback that the author can receive.
For a complete list of the rules and prizes, please visit the contest website.