Dobbs Ferry, NY (PRWEB) January 14, 2015
According to the Insurance Information Institute, winter storms are the third largest cause of catastrophic damage to homes and businesses, behind hurricanes and tornadoes. During this time of year, it becomes more important than ever to prepare for what lies ahead, especially when it comes to pipes. All too often, pipes are ignored or forgotten, since they sit behind walls and in the corners of basements.
J.P. Moore Home Improvements, based in Dobbs Ferry, NY, has served homes and businesses in Westchester, Rockland, Orange County, New York City, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island since 1990. “We have monitored the trend towards colder winters in the past few years and have noticed a significant increase in the number of frozen pipe damage in our area,” states James. P. Moore, President and CEO of J.P. Moore Home Improvements. “The sad part is, it is preventable if owners take the time to prepare before the storms hit.”
Frozen pipes can cause significant water damage, structural damage, and increase the potential for mold. Mr. Moore suggests that owners take the following precautions:
- Remove garden hoses from outside faucets and winterize your lines
- Wrap exposed exterior pipes and faucets with foam insulation
- Wrap pipes located in attics or garages with heat tape or cover them with pipe insulation
- If planning to be out of town for an extended time, turn off water to your home and open faucets to reduce the pressure and make sure your heat is set to a timer for prevention purposes
- If water pipes become frozen, let them thaw naturally by exposing warmer air to the pipes. Never try to thaw pipes using hair dryers or other forms of heat!
If homeowners and property managers are unable to perform these preventative tasks, companies like J.P. Moore Home Improvements can visit any location and make sure pipes are properly protected. For more information on how owners can keep their pipes from freezing over, visit http://www.jpmoorehomeimprovements.com.
About J.P. Moore Home Improvements:
J.P. Moore Home Improvements is a family owned and operated company, headquartered in Dobbs Ferry, New York, and has been in business since 1990 serving the Tri-State area.
There is no job too big or small. Whether it’s a simple upgrade or a full blown disaster restoration, JP Moore Home Improvements has the manpower and equipment for any size project. They are on call 24/7 with the fastest turn around time in the industry. They’ve also worked with every insurance company and are a preferred vendor.
For more information or to contact them, please visit http://www.jpmoorehomeimprovements.com or call 877-645-1428.