"Stockton continues to be seen as a premiere sports destination in Northern California, and our ability to host national and international events is a credit to our city and our partners," Wes Rhea, CEO of Visit Stockton.
(PRWEB) February 04, 2015
Since November, Visit Stockton has been awarded five future championship sporting events to be held in Stockton, including three new events from the NCAA and the United State Twirling Association.
In November, the NCAA selected Stockton to host 2017 Division I Women’s Basketball Regionals. This event will be a joint venture between Visit Stockton, the University of the Pacific and the Stockton Arena.
“We are honored to host the NCAA Women’s Basketball Regional in 2017,” said Vice Present of External Relations and Athletics Dr. Ted Leland. “We really appreciate the support and partnership with Visit Stockton and the Stockton Arena. It will be exciting to showcase some of the top women’s basketball teams in the nation right here in downtown Stockton.” This is the first Sweet 16 Women's Basketball event to be held in Stockton.
Also in November, Stockton was awarded the 2016 ASA/USA Girls' Class A 10U National Championship in partnership with the Greater San Joaquin Softball Association.
In January, the NCAA selected Stockton to host 2018 Division I Men’s Golf Regionals. The event will be a joint venture between Visit Stockton, the University of the Pacific and The Reserve at Spanos Park Golf Course. “We couldn’t be happier about the opportunity to work with the University of the Pacific and The Reserve at Spanos Park on this prestigious event,” said Tim Pasisz, Sports Development Director for Visit Stockton. “Chris Hill and the staff at Pacific Athletics have an outstanding golf program and this event will allow them to showcase it to the nation.” This event represents the first Division I golf event to be held in Stockton.
Also in January, the United States Twirling Association (USTA) awarded Stockton a 2017 International Baton Twirling Competition and the 2020 National Baton Twirling Championships. The USTA returns to Stockton after a successful the 2014 United States Baton Twirling Championships this past July.
2015 is already shaping up to be a busy year in Stockton hosting the following events throughout the remainder of the year:
- California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Basketball Championships -Stockton Arena - March 5 - 7, 2015
- California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Softball Championships - Arnaiz Softball Complex - April 30 - May 3, 2015
- California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Baseball Championships - Klein Family Field, University of the Pacific - May 7 -10, 2015
- West Coast Conference Baseball Championships - Banner Island Ballpark (aka Stockton Ballpark) - May 21 - 23, 2015
- USA Racquetball Junior Olympics - In-Shape Sport, West Lane - June 24-28, 2015
- EVP World Finals of Beach Volleyball - Sand Volleyball Complex, University of the Pacific - September 25-26, 2015
For more information on Stockton sport and sporting events contact Tim Pasisz at 209-938-1553 or visit VisitStockton.org.