"people want convenience and value, and businesses like us can deliver that.”
(PRWEB UK) 20 February 2015
A thriving bargain business founded seven years ago by a market stall trader and now shipping more than nine-million items a year has been named in the Top 500 UK Internet Retailers; recognised alongside some of the country’s most recognisable online-only and traditional high-street brands.
Approved Food, a Yorkshire based business specialising in clearance food and drink and dedicated to value and convenience for its customers, was named this week in the first ever Internet Retail UK Top 500 report alongside companies such as ASOS, eBuyer and Abel & Cole.
Still responsible for the day to day running of the business, which stocks products that are short-dated or past its ‘best-before-date’, founder Dan Cluderay launched the company in 2008 with a view to working directly with food manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors to reduce food waste and save shoppers up to 70% on their grocery bills.
Broken down into eight categories, The Internet Retail UK Top 500 Report carried out by InternetRetailing.net looked at ‘Elite’ online retail giants such as Amazon, M&S, Argos; ‘Leading’ which includes Asda and Waitrose; then ‘Model’ retailers such as ASOS and Pets At Home followed by the Top 100 to Top 500 – with many of the brands with an online-only presence.
Businesses were scored on criteria including: experience provided to customers, operation and logistics of delivery and order returns, mobile and cross channel accessibility, as well as the brand visibility, social media interaction and engagement with customers.
Dan said: “What is really clear from the findings of the Top 500 report is the number of brands that feature that only have an online presence.
“At one time, we would have expected it to be a whitewash of popular high-street names that had a multi-platform presence, but consumer habits are changing and the consumer is no longer afraid to engage with e-retailers just like us.
“It’s a sign of the times – people want convenience and value, and businesses like us can deliver that.”
Founder Dan Cluderay set up Approved Food, which is part of the wider Approved Group, after leaving his job as a market trader. He said he was ‘delighted’ by the inclusion.
He said: “News that we are amongst the Top 500 internet retailers in the UK came as a wonderful shock - six years ago we weren't even in the top 500 retailers in the little town of Worksop; we’re absolutely delighted and incredibly proud to be recognised alongside leading online-only giants such as Amazon and ASOS.
“The hard work of the entire Approved Food team is really paying off, and this is a fantastic start to 2015.”
The business recently featured on the BBCs Dragon’s Den, where fellow Directors Dan and Andy failed to convince the formidable panel to invest. Since filming, the business has gone from strength to strength, having received £400k of funds elsewhere.
A savvy shopper trend setter, dynamic Dan – who started his retail career on a market stall - is also set to star in ITV’s Bargain Fever Britain scheduled to air on March 3rd.
Dan said: “I would like to thank everyone who has supported and been a customer to Approved Food; we’re really excited to share the next step of our journey with customers new and old. Watch this space!”
Notes to editors:
- Approved Food, part of the Approved Group, was established in 2008 by founder Dan Cluderay;
- Approved Food is the largest online-only retailer of short-dated and residual stock food and drinks;
- In 2014 the business dispatched more than 115,000 orders, and over nine million items;
- Approved Food is an international business shipping to countries across Europe;
- Products are sourced directly from food manufacturers, wholesalers and distributers with Approved Food accommodating excess stock that may otherwise be disposed of or entering in to waste streams for no valid reason;
- In September 2014 the business relocated to its new 60,000 sq ft warehouse in Sheffield, South Yorkshire where it now employs more than 50 members of staff;
- In February 2015 founder Dan Cluderay appeared on Dragon’s Den alongside fellow director Andy Needham
- The group also consists of two sister brands including http://www.greatbritishsweets.co.uk and http://www.NaturallyFree.co.uk