Dana Point, CA (PRWEB) February 23, 2015
Organizers of the tenth annual California and Nevada Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction have announced that more than $1 million was raised for the eleven Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in California and Nevada.
The sold out event, which took place Friday, February 20th, at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa in Dana Point, California, drew over 425 attendees and was supported by more than 80 credit unions, business partners and hospitals. A very special donation of $200K was presented during the event by Eric Day, board member with Credit Union of Southern California, in honor of Martha Eileen Sheff.
The annual wine auction continues to be one of the premier fundraising events for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals’, as more than $3.6 million has now been raised by the Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction since 2006.
“Through the incredible efforts and generosity of our sponsors, donors, and volunteers, we have set a new milestone of support for the eleven Children’s Hospitals in California and Nevada,” said Jeff York, event chairman and president and CEO of CoastHills Credit Union. “Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals is a special cause for credit unions and we are pleased to be giving back to this great organization and the children of our community.”
The evening’s very special guest, 10 year old Logan Hansen, and CMN Hospital patient, shared how Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CA) and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles have changed his life.
Logan, who was diagnosed with complex Congenital Heart Disease a few hours after his birth, has navigated his way through 3 major heart surgeries, countless procedures and treatments, and doctor visits. He is just one of the many stories of hope as a result of the tireless efforts of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals throughout the country.
Logan was recently honored by the Tustin Unified School District in California with their Every Student Succeeding Award, which is given to one child from each school who achieves success in the face of adversity.
"Our credit union partners have demonstrated remarkable generosity and commitment to our California and Nevada children's hospitals with their support, raising a record amount in donations through the Wine Auction,” said Joe Dearborn, senior director, Credit Unions for Kids. "It's a true testament to the credit union philosophy of people helping people. The Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction is the largest single national fundraising event for Credit Unions for Kids."
Corporate Sponsors of this year’s event were CU Direct, the California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues, CO-OP Financial Services, and CUNA Mutual Group. As Corporate Sponsors, these organizations paid all overhead costs associated with the auction. As a result of the efforts and contributions of each of these organizations, all of the money raised will directly benefit the eleven Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in California and Nevada.
The Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction is directed by an Executive Committee, with a credit union CEO representing each of the benefitting hospitals:
- Chairman Jeff York, CoastHills Credit Union – Cottage Children’s Hospital
- Bill Cheney, Schools First Federal Credit – Children’s Hospital Orange County
- Geri LaChance, SESLOC Federal Credit Union – Cottage Children’s Hospital
- Teresa Freeborn, Xceed Financial Federal Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Brett Martinez, Redwood Credit Union – UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
- Darren Williams, Wescom Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Keith Sultemeier, Kinecta Federal Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Shruti Miyashiro, Orange County’s Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Orange County
- Carrie Birkhofer, Bay Federal Credit Union – Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital
- Steve O’Connell, North Island Credit Union – Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego
- Erin Mendez, Patelco Credit Union – UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
- John Cassidy, Sierra Central Credit Union – UC Davis Children’s Hospital
- Hank Barrett, Valley First Credit Union – Valley Children’s Hospital, Madera
- Steve Renock, Kern Schools Credit Union – Lauren Small Children’s Medical Center, Bakersfield
- Eric Estes, Boulder Dam Credit Union – Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospital Las Vegas and Renown Children’s Hospital, Reno
- Debra Schwartz, Mission Federal Credit Union – Rady Children’s Hospital, San Diego
# # #
ABOUT CREDIT UNIONS FOR KIDS AND CHILDREN’S MIRACLE NETWORK HOSPITALS
Credit Unions for Kids is the brand under which America’s credit unions fundraise for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The collaborative effort, which is driven by a “people helping people” philosophy, includes individual credit unions; local chapters; state leagues/associations; two national trade organizations; business partners and several trade publications.
The program was introduced nationally in 1996 and since that time the credit union movement has raised almost $140 million for affiliated children’s hospitals. Annually, credit unions are the third largest “corporate” contributor to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals behind only Wal-Mart and Costco.
The credit union community has established a wonderful legacy at hospitals across the country, funding breakthrough research, numerous programs and services and construction of new facilities. Fundraising activities run the gamut from major events to online giving campaigns to paper balloon icon sales.
For more information on Credit Unions for Kids and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, please contact Joe Dearborn at (480) 614-9673 or jdearborn(at)CMNHospitals(dot)org.