Amesbury, MA (PRWEB) March 04, 2015
Throughout 2015, well-known food distribution company, Shaheen Bros., Inc., will be celebrating its 75th anniversary. The company’s roots date back to the 1920’s when the current owners’ grandfather began selling fruit and produce from a street cart in Lawrence (MA). The business was formally incorporated on November 16, 1940, and remains a family-run business today. Shaheen Bros, Inc. services independent locally owned restaurants, hospitals, nursing homes, and schools in Northeastern Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire and Southern Maine. Shaheen Bros., Inc. is currently headquartered Amesbury (MA).
“We are a fourth generation family business,” said Fred P. Shaheen, president. “Our success is due to the hard work and dedication of our family which includes our employees. We have earned a reputation for excellent customer service and ethical business practices, and our company offers a local alternative to the national and regional big box food distributors.”
“We understand that our success is wholly dependent upon the success of the local, independent, often family-owned businesses that make up the majority of our customers,” adds Peter G. Shaheen, chief financial officer. “We are proud of the fact that that business model has allowed us to thrive for so long, and are looking forward to this Diamond Jubilee year as a way to thank all who have contributed to our success.”
Milestones in the company’s history include:
- In the 1920’s, Peter Shaheen began selling fruits and vegetables to customers in Lawrence from a horse drawn cart.
- As an established distributor of produce, Shaheen Bros. incorporated on November 16, 1940.
- In the late 1940’s, Shaheen Bros. Inc. became one of the first wholesalers to sell frozen foods.
- Canned goods were added to the product line in the 1950’s.
- In 1961, the need for additional space prompted a move to a larger location on Haverhill Street in Lawrence. As the business continued to grow, additions were made to that Lawrence facility.
- In the early 1970’s Shaheen Bros., Inc. joined CODE, now known as UNIPRO, a group of independent foodservice distributors who, by combining their purchasing power, have remained competitive with larger national distributors, both in price and product offerings.
- In January, 1989, Shaheen Bros., Inc. moved to the current Amesbury location. The larger facility provided the opportunity for expansion and better highway access.
- In January, 2014, a 14,800 square foot freezer was added at the Amesbury facility. The new freezer expanded capacity by 40% and features a state-of-the-art energy management system.
One of the major events in the yearlong Diamond Jubilee celebration will be the Shaheen Bros., Inc. food show to be held on Wednesday, May 6 at the Blue Ocean Music Hall on Salisbury Beach. Nearly 200 vendors will be showcasing new products and menu suggestions. This will provide a special opportunity to thank customers for their loyalty and support.