WASHINGTON, D.C. (PRWEB) March 10, 2015
Applied Predictive Technologies (APT) today announced that the APT Index of in-store restaurant sales for February 2015 increased [+3.5%] compared with February of last year. The increase was driven by an increase in check size [+4.4%]. The APT Index of Quick-Service Restaurant sales increased [+5.5%] and the APT Index of Full-Service Restaurant sales increased [+2.2%]. While February weather led to smaller sales increases in some areas, restaurants had strong performance across the board.
Patrick O’Reilly, APT President & COO, said, “Following positive January sales comps, restaurants are continuing to perform well in February, despite snowstorms and the February ‘Cold Snap’.”
O’Reilly added, “We’re seeing positive performance for restaurant sales overall and in both the quick-service and full-service segments. Restaurants that receive APT Index reports are able to see even more granularity, such as full-service restaurant sales benchmarks for the area immediately surrounding each restaurant location. This valuable information is enabling them to create location-level benchmarks, understand the impact of major events and national initiatives, and explain performance to investors.”
February Restaurant Sales – by APT Index numbers:
The Big Picture
- APT Index of Restaurant sales: [+3.5%], driven by an increase in check size [+4.4%]
- APT Index of Quick-Service Restaurant sales: [+5.5%]
- APT Index of Full-Service Restaurant sales: [+2.2%]
Restaurant Sales Increase Despite Colder Temperatures
- In areas where temperature decreased from last year, APT Index restaurant sales increased [+2.9%], quick-service restaurant sales increased [+3.9%], and full-service restaurant sales increased [+1.4%]
- In areas where temperature increased from last year, APT Index restaurant sales increased [+4.8%], quick-service restaurant sales increased [+7.5%], and full-service restaurant sales increased [+4.3%]
Restaurant Sales Comps Positive, Even In Areas that had Snow Days
- In areas that had 10 or more snow days, APT Index restaurants sales increased [+2.2%] and full-service restaurant sales increased [+0.1%]
- In areas that had 5 to 9 snow days, APT Index restaurant sales increased [+2.7%] and full-service restaurant sales increased [+0.8%]
- In areas that had 1 to 4 snow days, APT Index restaurant sales increased [+4.2%] and full-service restaurant sales increased [+2.6%]
- In areas that had no snow, APT Index restaurant sales increased [+4.6%] and full-service restaurant sales increased [+4.5%]
- The number of snow days did not significantly impact quick-service restaurant sales
Major Cities with the Highest Restaurant Sales Comps in February*
- Minneapolis, MN restaurant sales increased [+8.1%]
- Denver, CO restaurant sales increased [+7.3%]
- Riverside, CA restaurant sales increased [+7.3%]
Major Cities with the Lowest Restaurant Sales Comps in February*
- Boston, MA restaurant sales decreased [-3.0%]
- Baltimore, MD restaurant sales decreased [-2.9%]
- St. Louis, MO restaurant sales decreased [-0.6%]
The APT Index aggregates data from sales registers at over 100,000 stores and restaurants across the U.S. to show how year-over-year performance changes for same-store sales in the physical channel. Unlike other sources, the APT Index is based on actual sales data, allowing APT to make statistically significant observations about sales. As a result, we believe the APT Index provides the most definitive, accurate, and geographically-targeted analysis of sales available.
For more information, visit: http://www.predictivetechnologies.com.
*Cities chosen from the top 25 metro areas as defined by the Core Based Statistical Area (CBSA) from the U.S. Census
APT is a leading cloud-based predictive analytics software company. APT’s Test & Learn® software is revolutionizing the way companies harness their Big Data to accurately measure the profit impact of pricing, marketing, menu, operations, and capital initiatives, tailoring investments in these areas to maximize ROI. APT’s client portfolio features some of the world’s best known brands, including Walmart, Starbucks, Coca-Cola, Victoria’s Secret, American Family, Hilton Hotels, SUBWAY, TD Bank, T-Mobile, and others. APT has offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, London, Bentonville, Taipei, Tokyo, and Sydney. Visit http://www.predictivetechnologies.com to learn more.