Sacramento, CA (PRWEB) June 17, 2015
What: California tribal leaders, national tribal leaders, public health professionals, and student activists participating in a press conference and providing testimony to the Senate Education Committee on the harmful effects of R-word mascots at the hearing for Assembly Bill 30 - The California Racial Mascots Act.
- California State Assembly Member Luis Alejo
- James Kinter, Tribal Secretary of the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation
- Dahkota Kicking Bear Brown, a Miwok Indian student and football player at a California high school whose rival school uses an R-word mascot
- Ray Halbritter, Representative of the Oneida Indian Nation and the National Congress of Americans Indians, and leader of the grassroots Change the Mascot campaign
- Dr. Michael Friedman, noted clinical psychologist who has done extensive research on children and discrimination
Where: California State Capitol, 1301 10th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. The hearing will take place in the John L. Burton Hearing Room (4203). The press conference will take place in Room 127.
When: TODAY, Wednesday, June 17, 2015. The hearing will begin at 9:00 a.m. Pacific. The press conference will begin at 11:30 a.m. Pacific.
R.S.V.P.: Joel Barkin, jbarkin(at)oneida-nation(dot)org, (315) 361-8173