LINCOLN, R.I. (PRWEB) July 07, 2015
Summer is a great time to get outside and be active. It’s important to take the proper precautions, however, so Amica Insurance is sharing some safety tips.
Jean Tapley, senior wellness coordinator at Amica, suggests the following seven tips for leisure activities, sports and gardening:
- Start slowly. Going from no activity to several hours of activity can potentially be harmful. Ease your way into endurance activities.
- Take frequent breaks. Give your body time to rest and release tension that can easily build up with prolonged activity.
- Stay hydrated. Hot, sunny days require more hydration, but anytime you sweat, your water consumption should increase. Some muscle cramps are caused by improper hydration.
- Instead of doing all the weeding or raking in one day, do short bursts of the most demanding chores.
- Kneel on one knee rather than hunching over. Remember to lift with the legs rather than the back. Also, use a wheelbarrow to move heavy items.
- When kneeling, use a pad to cushion the knees. Stand up often to reduce stiffness in joints.
- When digging, position the shovel directly in front of you so you can use your body weight to push into the soil.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,400 people in 44 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.