“This time of year, Paul Davis receives many water-related calls from property owners,” said Rich Wilson, president and CEO of Paul Davis. “Removing visible water caused by flooding is only part of the solution."
Jacksonville, Fla. (PRWEB) July 29, 2015
This year, the threat of flooding is higher in many areas of North America due to record-setting precipitation levels this spring. And, where there is water, mold is not far behind. Paul Davis, a leading provider of property restoration services for residential and commercial property, offers tips for protecting against water and mold damage. Paul Davis is regularly called on to handle these types of emergencies, although much of the damage is avoidable if preventive steps are taken before the flood occurs.
“This time of year, Paul Davis receives many water-related calls from property owners,” said Rich Wilson, president and CEO of Paul Davis. “Removing visible water caused by flooding is only part of the solution. People are amazed when we show them mold in their homes. It poses serious health risks and can be costly. Unfortunately, mold often goes untreated because people don't know where to look for it.”
It is a fraction of the cost, inconvenience and effort to prepare in advance of a flood versus repairing after it happens. Paul Davis suggests the following steps to protect property during this storm season.
Tips to minimize property damage before a flood occurs:
- Familiarize yourself with your property and surrounding area, including terrain, slopes, and evacuation routes
- Clear debris from gutters, drains and downspouts
- Store an accessible supply of sandbags to use in case of rising water
- Raise the furnace, water heater, washer and dryer with cement blocks at least 12 inches above the projected flood level in the area
- Do not store valuables and important documents in basements or lower levels of the property
- Shut off electricity at the breaker box if flooding is imminent
After winter, the threat of mold is high. Ice dams – the buildup of ice that forms on roofs and prevents melting snow from draining properly – are a common contributor. They can cause significant water damage to the attic and interior walls of a property and often leads to mold growth because property owners do not typically detect the damage until it’s too late.
Above-average precipitation this year created optimal conditions for mold. Left unchecked, it will grow quickly, potentially causing serious respiratory illness and other health issues – in addition to causing thousands of dollars in cleanup and restoration. To prevent extensive mold damage before it becomes a health hazard, call an expert like Paul Davis.
Paul Davis’s water damage restoration and mold remediation services include:
- 24/7 emergency services
- Locating and repairing the source of leaking water
- Water damage assessment, water extraction and removal
- Drying affected areas
- Cleaning and restoration of household goods and personal possessions
- Mold and mildew remediation including efficient containment of affected area
- Complete reconstruction services and storm damage repair
- Insurance claim assistance
To get help 24/7 or find a local Paul Davis office, visit PaulDavis.com or call 888-473-7669.
About Paul Davis
Founded in 1966, Paul Davis is a leader in property damage emergency services, with highly trained and certified professionals experienced in restoration, reconstruction and remodeling. The Paul Davis network of more than 370 franchises serves residential and commercial customers across the U.S. and Canada.
Regardless of the cause of an emergency – water, mold, fire, smoke or extreme weather – Paul Davis responds quickly to stop the damage and reverse the effects, minimizing disruption of normal activities.
From restoring a family’s precious belongings to reconstructing multimillion-dollar commercial projects, Paul Davis puts people and property first. For more information, visit PaulDavis.com or PaulDavis.ca.