Rockville, MD (PRWEB) April 06, 2016
At its first Demo Day on March 23 , Relevant Health , a health technology startup accelerator in the Washington, DC metro area, hosted a group of more than 150 investors, industry leaders, and top technology company representatives to experience first -hand the progress of the accelerator's seven startups. Coming from Bethesda, Rockville , Washington , DC, Baltimore, New York City , and Latvia, the inaugural cohort developed a wide range of health tech products and devices to meet the healthcare needs of a diverse patient population. The new accelerator is managed by ProductSavvy and supported by BioHealth Innovation (BHI) and Montgomery County Economic Development.
Relevant Health also announced yesterday its new line -up of investors, including: Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Maryland Department of Commerce , and the newly formed Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation , as well as other private angel investors.
“We are delighted to have had the opportunity to develop and manage the Relevant Health accelerator. We were able to attract some of the most exciting health tech startups in the US and internationally and its great to see how far they have come in the last 5 -months. Having all the companies develop an MVP while in the accelerator and showcase at demo day is unique ” said Andy Richman, Partner at ProductSavvy and who also serves as Managing Partner of Relevant Health.
Attendees at Demo Day filled the new cowork space in the Rockville Innovation Center -home to Relevant Health-to see the presentations from AgeWell Biometrics, CheeksUp, ErgonometriX , Gastro Girl, GlucoseMama, Lazy Corporation and Neopenda. Highlights of Demo Day included:
- Agewell Biometrics developed an analytics platform, which uses the sensors in wearable and mobile devices to determine risk of falling among seniors. Agewell initiated a multi-site pilot of its falls detection software that includes working with retired actors and film and video professionals who take part in the healthcare services from the Motion Picture & Television Fund.
- CheeksUp developed an interactive computer -guided system to support childhood speech therapy and initiated collaboration with laboratories at Johns Hopkins University working on speech and facial nerve paralysis rehabilitation.
- ErgonometriX developed a wearable device and centralized software system to detect and contribute to prevention of lower back injury among industrial athletes. The company recently completed three successful pilot studies validating their technology and machine learning algorithms.
- Gastro Girl developed a digital health platform for individuals with gastrointestinal issues that features telehealth, an interactive symptoms journal, and support community. Gastro Girl signed a licensing agreement with The MITRE Corporation to integrate MITRE's Patient Toolkit prototype with Gastro Girl's telehealth platform for dietitians and health coaches to better treat patients with chronic gastrointestinal symptoms and disorders.
- GlucoseMama, a digital therapeutic software system for self -managing gestational diabetes. The product is set to be pilot tested with maternal fetal medicine departments in multiple hospitals, as well as extensive beta testing in private OBGYN practices.
- Lazy Corporation developed MEASUREASE, a streamlined solution for service providers seeking ways to simplify the health quality measures process for their provider clients. In addition to launching Measurease, Lazy's existing qualified registry is processing and submitting quality measure data for hundreds of healthcare providers powered by its 'measure graph' warehouse.
- Neopenda developed a device and integrated digital dashboard to monitor and process vital signs in newborn babies born in the developing world. The company announced a partnership with the Ugandan Pediatric Association to pilot its vital signs wearables in the country's neonatal care units. Neopenda also launched a crowd -funding drive on Kickstarter at Demo Day.
About Relevant Health
Relevant Health is a health tech startup accelerator program. Admitted companies have access to a cowork facility in Rockville, Maryland and receive additional support that includes $50,000 in funding, software development support, mentorship and working in the local health tech ecosystem. Relevant Health is a partnership between BioHeaIth Innovation, Inc., ProductSavvy Consulting, and Montgomery County Economic Development.
Learn more at http://www.relevanthealth.md.
ProductSavvy is a Rockville -based product acceleration company which supports early stage companies with all aspects of product strategy, product marketing an d product development management. ProductSavvy are the managers of Relevant Health and lead on the programmatic aspects of the accelerator and supporting the companies build great products and great businesses.
Learn more at http://www.productsavvy.com
About BioHealth Innovation, Inc.
BioHealth Innovation, Inc., is an innovation intermediary providing commercial assistance to scientists and founders, educating and infusing Maryland's biohealth community with new entrepreneurial firms. BHI's strategic partners come from industry, investment, academia, and government sector to support the development of emerging biohealth companies.
Learn more at http://www.biohealthinnovation.org.