Tampa, FL (PRWEB) April 11, 2016
Daytona’s annual bike week has come and gone, bringing awareness to the alarming statistic that Florida is leading the nation for fatal motorcycle accidents. according to a report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. motorcyclists accounted for 19% of Florida's motor vehicle fatalities. Each year, fatal accidents in Florida involving a motorcyclist account for one-fifth of total fatal accidents. Florida State University policeman Jason Harris states, “If you ride a motorcycle long enough, it's not if - but when - you're going to be involved in one of those situations.”
By adhering to the best road safety practices, Florida families hope to see the number of fatal accidents decrease. Each motorcycle fatality is estimated to cost society $1.2 - $1.4 million in total productivity lost, legal costs, and other various factors. Additionally, fatal accidents have almost doubled since Florida’s repeal of the helmet law.
Tampa personal injury attorney Jennifer Burns has seen the truly life-altering effects that occur following a serious motorcycle accident. With more than four decades of combined experience, the lawyers of Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A. have extensive experience handling the investigation and litigation that occurs following a serious accident. After analyzing many cases, Ms. Burns hopes to advocate on behalf of all drivers and share preventative tips to increase road safety, especially for motorcyclists.
Tips For Motorcyclists:
Florida’s weather encourages many residents to get involved with motorcycle riding. It’s no secret that motorcycling is also exciting and fuel-efficient. However, in order to operate the heavy machinery safely and efficiently, adhere to the following tips:
- Wear a helmet- Riders without helmets are 40% more likely to suffer fatal injuries according to government studies. A full-face helmet has yielded the safest results. Additional protective wear is strongly encouraged including protective clothing, closed toes shoes and gloves.
- Receive proper training- Motorcycle safety courses not only save when it comes to insurance but also can improve safety for all drivers.
- Be visible to motorists- This means avoiding weaving in and out of lanes. Also wearing reflective strips and using headlights and other marker lights in bad weather or when it is dark.
- Avoid bad weather- Rain causes slippery roads and reduced visibility.
- Invest in anti-lock brakes-This feature is almost always included in modern bikes and is only a few hundred dollars if you should need to purchase them separately. Without the anti-lock brakes, brakes that lock up in a quick stop rid the rider of any steering control. Antilock brakes help you maintain steering control during an emergency stop and prove beneficial in poor weather conditions.
Tips For Motorists:
- Leave room- Leave room for the motorcyclists in heavy traffic and especially during poor weather conditions when maneuvering the bike is twice as difficult.
- Don’t drive distracted- Actively look for motorcyclists on the road, as it is easy to miss one in a blind spot. In addition to looking, use your ears to listen for them.
- Be extra alert when making a left hand turn- This is when the most automobile-bike crashes occur.
The Tampa accident attorneys at Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A. have a proven track record of success and are committed to recovering the full compensation you deserve following an injury in a motorcycle accident. Call today at 877-728-9653 for a free consultation or visit the firm’s website at CarlsonMeissner.com.
About Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett , P.A.: The law firm of Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett P.A. was founded in 1971 by attorneys Ed Carlson and Paul Meissner. For more than four decades, they have been committed to protecting the injured and defending the accused. Their attorneys have established a solid reputation of case success throughout Florida, providing strong legal representation, easy accessibility and a high level of dependability. A client-centered approach ensures that clients know what is happening as their case progresses, and understand their options every step of the way. With a focus on personal injury, they help victims of auto accidents, slip and falls and wrongful death accidents.
The firm is well-known for their innovative criminal defense and DUI work, defending both local and high-profile clients. Attorney and Partner Kevin Hayslett is widely recognized as The Attorney to the Stars, providing strong legal representation for notable celebrities and dignitaries throughout Florida. The firm also handles social security disability, workers compensation, divorce, family law and immigration cases.They offer free initial consultations and have five convenient Tampa Bay Area locations. Attorneys are available 24/7 for emergencies. Count on the legal team of Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A. to be there, fighting for you, protecting your rights. For more information or to schedule a consultation, call 877-728-9653 or visit their website at http://www.CarlsonMeissner.com