“#GivingTuesday is a great way for local nonprofits of any size to participate in a global giving event. And with a little planning, they can improve their results tremendously.”
LINCOLN, Neb. (PRWEB) October 19, 2016
#GivingTuesday is just a few weeks away, but it’s not too late for nonprofits to set up a successful campaign. #GivingTuesday 2016 is November 29, the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Last year the online event raised more than $116 million for charitable causes in more than 70 countries.
Dana Ostomel, vice president of nonprofit industry development for Firespring, says #GivingTuesday has become increasingly important for many nonprofit organizations. Ostomel founded the crowdfunding platform Deposit a Gift (recently acquired by Firespring) to help nonprofits with online fundraising campaigns. “#GivingTuesday is a great way for local nonprofits of any size to participate in a global giving event,” Ostomel said. “And with a little planning, they can improve their results tremendously.” Ostomel suggests nonprofits keep five key points in mind for a successful #GivingTuesday.
1. Offer incentives to your audience. Incentives motivate giving. One tactic we’ve seen work well is donation matching. If your campaign reaches a certain donation level, the total will be matched by a generous donor, growing the impact of each contribution.
2. Create an online street team. Recruit a committed group of advocates to help you create as much noise and reach as many people as possible online. Remember, you can’t do this alone.
3. Develop a strategic marketing plan. Take #GivingTuesday as seriously as any capital campaign. Your marketing plan should drive your promotional efforts from pre-Thanksgiving through the new year.
4. Generate a sense of urgency. Engage your audience with an emotional hook about the work and mission of your organization. Leverage this to convince them to give today and not wait until tomorrow.
5. Establish an appreciation strategy. You don’t just want your supporters’ capital, you want their social capital. Gratitude puts people in the mood to share. Send each donor an immediate thank you email with a request to spread the word about your campaign.
On #GivingTuesday, Deposit a Gift will waive its platform fee for nonprofits that use the service to set up their campaigns. Deposit a Gift can help organizations create custom landing pages, develop promotional campaigns and manage donations. Dorot USA, a New York City nonprofit, has used the platform the last two years to boost #GivingTuesday donations and is planning to do so again this year.
“Our organization more than doubled our goal in 2014, raising nearly $11,000. In 2015, donations exceeded $19,000,” said Lindsay Smith, the development officer who ran the last two campaigns. “We’re really glad we went with Deposit a Gift. We felt so supported, and it was a great experience.”
Nonprofit organizations interested in running their #GivingTuesday campaign on the Deposit a Gift platform can visit givingtuesday2016.depositagift.com . Ostomel is also hosting a series of free webinars with tips on creating a successful #GivingTuesday campaign.
About Deposit a Gift
Deposit a Gift is a crowdfunding platform that allows users to create an online fundraising campaign for any organizational or personal need. Deposit a Gift is different from other nonprofit and individual fundraising platforms because it offers hands-on support, lets users customize the look and feel of their campaign and offers integrated ticket sales. For more information, visit depositagift.com.
Firespring is one of the largest marketing communications firms in the Midwest, providing print, creative, website and IT solutions for nearly 6,000 brands, businesses and nonprofits all over the world. Firespring employs more than 250 team members in Lincoln and Omaha, Neb., and Council Bluffs, Iowa. Firespring was named to Inc. Magazine’s 2016 list of the 50 Best Places to Work. In 2014, Firespring became the first Certified B Corporation in Nebraska and operates under the stated purpose to “leverage our people, products and profit as a force for good.” For more information, visit firespring.com.