Austin, Texas (PRWEB) June 01, 2017
Planning that big summer or holiday family vacation? Skip the internet research and call the kids instead. HomeAway®, the world leader in vacation rentals, and FamilyFun magazine announced today the findings of their 2017 Kidpinion Travel Survey and found that when it comes to trip planning, kids wield tremendous power. Eighty-seven percent of parents surveyed in the US said their kids play a role in vacation planning, and 13 percent said their kids actually make the final decision.
This one-of-a-kind travel survey asks hundreds of parents and kids from across the country about their family vacation planning and habits: who calls the shots, where to go, whom to travel with and what type of accommodation to stay in.
Among the survey’s key findings:
Experiences matter more than materials things.
- 43 percent of kid respondents said they would prefer to go on vacation rather than receive a physical gift for their next birthday (38 percent).
- 46 percent of kids said seeing a new place or trying new things is their favorite part of vacationing.
Peer pressure persuades when it comes to vacations...in a good way.
- The number-one influence on kids is their friends (37 percent), besting celebrities, Instagram, TV and movies.
From palm trees to poolside retreats, kids and parents have the same vacation vision.
- Given the choice, 36 percent of parents and about the same percentage of kids (38 percent) would choose to stay at a vacation rental over any other type of accommodation. That makes sense because more than half (63 percent) of the adults said having enough beds for everyone is a priority, and kids ranked having their own room as their No. 2 priority in vacation stay amenities (18 percent).
- Both parents and kids ranked a private island, castle and treehouse as their top three choices among unique places to stay.
- 77 percent of parents said a pool is important to them. Similarly, a pool was kids’ highest ranking vacation amenity (36 percent).
Kids want to branch out along the family tree...but Fido reigns supreme.
- Nearly one-third of kids would include their pet (32 percent), their cousins (32 percent) or their grandparents (29 percent) on their ideal family vacation. Over half (54 percent) would also like to invite friends.
“People always ask adults their opinion, but what’s really cool about including kids in the research is that we found making memories is just as important to them as it is to their parents,” said Melanie Fish, HomeAway’s family travel expert. “Young people value experiences over ‘stuff,’ and families are planning vacations together.”
“Vacations are where new family legends are born, and when kids are involved in the planning from the beginning, you lay the groundwork for memories that will last a lifetime,” said Elizabeth Shaw, FamilyFun’s editor-in-chief.
For parents and kids looking to plan their next vacation, whether in a treehouse, castle or more traditional vacation rental, visit http://www.homeaway.com.
YouGov, on behalf of HomeAway and FamilyFun magazine, conducted an online survey of 555 kids (ages six to 18) and their parents based in the U.S., respondents had a household income of $50K + and had all previously been on a family holiday. All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Fieldwork was undertaken in April, 2017.
About FamilyFun Magazine
Reaching an audience of more than 4.6 million, FamilyFun magazine gives parents ideas and inspiration needed to create unforgettable family moments. Part of Meredith Corporation’s Parents Network of brands, FamilyFun is a trusted expert on family cooking, vacations, celebrations, play, creative projects, and learning — the full spectrum of fun that enriches the precious time families share. Written for parents with children 3 to 12, FamilyFun is unique in the marketplace, delivering real ideas for — and from — real families.
HomeAway—based in Austin, Texas—is the world leader in vacation rentals with sites representing more than 1.2 million online bookable vacation rental homes in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. Through HomeAway, owners and property managers offer an extensive selection of vacation homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, including more room to relax and added privacy, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online. The HomeAway portfolio includes the leading vacation rental websites HomeAway.com, VRBO.com, and VacationRentals.com in the United States; HomeAway.co.uk and OwnersDirect.co.uk in the United Kingdom; HomeAway.de in Germany; Abritel.fr and Homelidays.com in France; HomeAway.es and Toprural.es in Spain; AlugueTemporada.com.br in Brazil; HomeAway.com.au and Stayz.com.au in Australia; Bookabach.co.nz in New Zealand; and Asia Pacific short-term rental site, travelmob.com. The company also operates BedandBreakfast.com, the most comprehensive global site for finding bed-and-breakfast properties, providing travelers with another source for unique lodging alternatives to chain hotels. For more information about HomeAway, please visit http://www.homeaway.com.
© 2017 HomeAway. All rights reserved. HomeAway and the HomeAway logo are trademarks of HomeAway. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.