Houston, TX (PRWEB) September 01, 2017
Harky’s Chimney & Home Services, LLC (“Harky’s”), a chimney sweep and home services company in Texas that utilizes leading technology, has made a donation to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, and wants to ensure homeowners are aware of the importance of one of the most taken-for-granted parts of the home – the chimney. Regular chimney maintenance is essential to prevent damage or further deterioration of the chimney and its surroundings. A common problem during heavy rains is chimney and chimney flashing leaks which can lead to costly repairs.
Below is a sample list of chimney water leak symptoms and the importance of having your chimney inspected by a chimney professional as opposed to a roofer:
- Missing/Damaged Chimney Cap: A chimney cap works like an umbrella to help block rain from pouring straight down your chimney. A chimney cap is also a great wildlife guard to ensure it keeps birds animals out of your chimney. Having a proper chimney cap installed is one of the best long term investments for your chimney.
- Cracked Chimney Crowns: Chimney crowns are the cement part on top of your chimney – it is made to help seal the chimney and divert water from resting or entering your brick from the top of the chimney. Unfortunately, a lot of chimneys were built with an inadequate mortar mix and prone to crack, chip or deteriorate over years of weather abuse. Having a proper chimney crown reduces the weathering effect on the chimney increases its longevity.
- Cracked and Missing Mortar Joints: Mortar joints are the spaces between bricks that are filled with mortar or grout. Over time, weathering and decay can cause voids in the joints and allow an increased amount of water to enter the chimney area. Tuckpointing or repointing the defective mortar joints will help reduce the amount of water entering your chimney area.
- Cracked or Aged Brick: Similar to mortar joints, brick also weathers and decays over time. Especially in Texas where we have a lot of porous brick, it is more prone to absorb water and cause a break down in the brick and mortar particles over time. Having a water repellant, applied by a chimney professional, which allows the brick to continue to breathe should slow down erosion and meaningfully reduce the amount of water entering your chimney area from the aged or cracked brick.
- Faulty Flashing: Connection between the roof and chimney is typically made with a watertight metal flashing. Sometimes the flashing was installed improperly and other times it becomes worn or corroded over time. Ensuring the flashing area is sound should stop water leaks coming from the flashing area.
If you believe the chimney or chimney flashing is the source of your water leaks, give Harky’s a call at 855-542-7597 (855-5-HARKYS), or email us at email@example.com.
Our support goes out to all those who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey. If you would also like to donate to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, please go to: http://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/
About the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
After receiving an overwhelming number of inquiries from citizens and companies who want to help, Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible flood relief donations for victims that have been affected by the recent floods. The fund will be housed at the Greater Houston Community Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity.
About Harky’s Chimney & Home Services, LLC
Harky's Chimney & Home Services, LLC ("Harky's") is a chimney sweep and home services company in Texas that utilizes leading technology. We operate under the Harky's Chimney & Home Services primarily for the residential customer and Apartment Chimney Sweeps for multi-family property managers. Professional designations at the firm include the highly-coveted CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep and a CSIA-Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician. There are only approximately six businesses to employ a CSIA-Certified Chimney sweep and only approximately four businesses to employ a CSIA-Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician in the lower half of Texas (below Austin).
Harky’s Chimney & Home Services, LLC
(855) 542-7597 / (855) 5-HARKYS