"It’s exciting to see the innovative ideas moving toward commercialization by our state’s entrepreneurs, and we are so pleased to be able to provide support to help progress those ideas to the next level." - Glendowlyn Thames, CTNext Executive Director
Rocky Hill, CT (PRWEB) September 19, 2017
CTNext, Connecticut’s go-to resource for entrepreneurial support, today announced the winners of the Entrepreneur Innovation Awards (EIA), held this past Thursday night at The Space in Hamden.
Ten finalists, all of whom are Connecticut-based companies and entrepreneurs, presented their innovative project ideas to a panel of judges for an opportunity to secure $10,000 awards to help support business growth. CTNext distributed $54,000 to five winners, including:
- Deo2Go: Creating a topical delivery device that can be filled with a variety of products, such as deodorant, lip balm and sunscreen
- EZ ICE: Manufacturing a kit for a custom and portable backyard ice rink that can be assembled in under an hour, with no tools and on any surface
- FallCall Solutions: Creating a telemonitoring system for Apple Watch and other mobile systems for elders and caregivers
- Rumble Helmet: Developing a smart bicycle helmet that has embedded features designed to communicate the cyclist’s intentions to other road users
- Sitrep: Creating a system for better communication of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) problems
For the second consecutive EIA, Deo2Go took home the $2,000 Crowd Favorite award. Rumble Helmet won an additional $2,000 as Judges’ Favorite. Since launching EIA in 2014, CTNext has now held 13 total events in cities and towns all over Connecticut, awarding a total of $642,000 to 58 unique companies.
“The EIA is always a great event, and Thursday night was no different, as five of Connecticut’s young and promising companies picked up some much-needed funding,” said Glendowlyn Thames, CTNext Executive Director. “It’s exciting to see the innovative ideas moving toward commercialization by our state’s entrepreneurs, and we are so pleased to be able to provide support to help progress those ideas to the next level.”
In December, CTNext will host an All-Star version of the EIA pitch competition, bringing back some of the most popular and successful past winners who will go head-to-head for the opportunity to win additional award money.
CTNext is Connecticut’s go-to resource for entrepreneurial support. The goal of the program is to build a more robust community of entrepreneurs and to accelerate startup growth by providing access to talent, space, industry expertise, services, skill development and capital to foster innovation and create jobs for people in Connecticut. CTNext launched in 2012 and has more than 1,900 members in its network.