Dallas, TX (PRWEB) October 03, 2012
After meeting with swift commercial success on a few initial applications, including MEMS, sensors and power amplifiers, 3D integration has been on everyone’s mind for the past five years. However, once the initial euphoria faded, and despite technical developments which assured most observers that mass adoption of 3D was not out of reach, some unanticipated technical and supply chain hurdles were revealed that were higher than anticipated. It was then that 2.5D integration by means of 3D glass or silicon interposers was revealed by experts as a necessary stepping-stone to full 3D integration. Our first report on 3D Glass & Silicon interposers and 2.5D integration was in 2010; at that time, we listed the various applications of this technology trend and its drivers, and we showed that glass and silicon interposers were expected to become high-volume necessities, rather than just high-performance solutions for a few niche applications.
The Business Generated By The 2.5d Interposer Substrate Will Grow Rapidly, To An Expected Total Value Of $1.6b In 2017
Glass & silicon 2.5D interposers are already a commercial reality in MEMS, Analog, RF & LED applications on 150mm / 200mm, supported by the relatively ‘exotic’ infrastructures of MEMS players such as IMT-MEMS, Silex Microsystems, DNP, and DALSA / Teledyne, and structured glass substrate suppliers like HOYA, PlanOptik, NEC / Schott, and tecnisco. On 300mm, the infrastructure and market for 2.5D/3D interposers has hardly emerged as of 2012, but nevertheless we expect that in 2017, over 2 million 300mm wafers will be produced in that year alone. We also expect that the silicon or glass type of 2.5D interposer substrate will impact more than 16% of the traditionally ‘organic-made’ IC package substrate business by 2017, with almost $1.6B revenues generated by then.
Key Features of the Report
- Detailed view, by product and device type, of the key applications driving the commercialization of 2.5D interposer substrates
- Detailed 2011 – 2017 market forecast in both unit and wafer shipments, including a revenues analysis of Middle-end to Back-end assembly & test-related activities
- Overview of the positioning of different key players, and an understanding of supply chain challenges happening between the different business models in place
- Technology trends & roadmaps, including the topic of glass interposers and the possible move to large PANEL area processing, leveraging LCD or PCB infrastructures
- Detailed cost structure of several different 2.5D interposer packages: system-level evaluation of several different case scenarios, analyzing the expected cost decrease trend over five years
- Analysis of the required investment in terms of capex between 2011 – 2017
While 3D TSV chips market will represent 9% of the total semiconductors value in 2017, growing more than 10 times faster than global semiconductor industry!
Last year, the market value of all the devices using TSV packaged in 3D in the 3DIC or 3D-WLCSP platforms (CMOS image sensors, Ambient light sensors, Power Amplifiers, RF and inertial MEMS) was worth $2.7B. It will represent 9% of the total semiconductor value by 2017, hitting almost $40B. 3DIC which typically uses TSV ‘via middle’ for memory and logic IC stacking is expected to grow the fastest in wafers as well as in overall value, whereas 3D WLCSP will continue growing at a 18% CAGR.
Key Features of the Report
The main objectives of this new report are to update the business status of 3DIC & TSV technology in 2011, to define market forecast for the next 5 years to come and to provide a deeper understanding of the supply-chain challenges and moves that are currently happening in this fascinating “middle-end” industry space. The report provides:
- A full analysis of 3D TSV market through 2010 – 2017 forecast given in wafers, units and revenues
- 2011 installed capacities (bottom-up), cross checked with top down approach methodology
- Supply chain analysis with key player investments and alliances in this emerging space
Major Companies Cited in this Report
7. Avago technologies
9. Dalsa / Teledyne
10. Dongbu Hite
16. Global Foundries
18. Hua-Hong NEC
19. SK-Hynix, Ibiden
20. IBM and more.
Browse other reports by Yole Developpement:
- Gyroscopes and IMUs for Defense, Aerospace & Industrial
- SiC Patent Analysis Single Crystal, Wafer and Epiwafer Manufacturing
- PV Fabs Database 2012
Contact sales (at) reportsandreports (dot) com for further information.
ReportsnReports.com (http://www.reportsnreports.com/) is an online market research reports library of 200,000+ in-depth studies of 5000+ micro markets.