Fire Hazards During or After 4th of July Fireworks - Safety Tips from Personal Injury Lawyer John M. O’Brien

Share Article

Sacramento personal injury lawyer John M. O’Brien gives firework safety tips and prevention methods for those who wish to celebrate 4th of July in a safer way.

News Image
40% of the injuries are caused by illegal fireworks, 400 Americans lose sight of one or both eyes, 45% of the injured civilians are children – this is a serious problem.

What if a 4th of July celebration turns into a tragedy? Personal injury lawyer, John M. O’Brien advises everyone celebrating the 4th of July to stay safe and prevent hazardous circumstances.

U.S. Emergency Rooms treated 9,600 firework related injuries in 2011 - 26% of these were children. 61% of these injuries involved the shoulders, arms, hands, fingers, wrists and legs, the remaining 39% involved the parts of the head, including the eyes (17%).

The number of the reported fires started by fireworks in 2011 was as high as 17,800 injuring 40 civilians and resulting in $32 million direct property damage.

The American Pyrotechnics Association, the National Council on Firework Safety and the National Fire Protection Association all show important statistics related to fireworks.

“Did you know that the annual fireworks industry revenue in the U.S. is $940 million, while the number of serious injuries caused by fireworks is 9.300 each year?” – asks attorney John M. O’Brien. “40% of the injuries are caused by illegal fireworks, 400 Americans lose sight of one or both eyes, 45% of the injured civilians are children – this is a serious problem” – continues Mr. O’Brien.

The use of fireworks on 4th of July increases the risk of fire hazards and firework related injuries. Here are some safety tips from personal injury lawyer John M. O’Brien to prevent 4th of July firework related injuries:

  •     Leave fireworks to professionals
  •     Keep the kids in safe spots
  •     Setup fireworks in open areas with no trees and bushes, on hard surface
  •     Have a fire extinguisher ready to use
  •     Have water close by
  •     Stay away from illegal fireworks
  •     Obey the firework laws in California
  •     Do not transport fireworks across state lines; you might be breaking the law

Help NFPA spread safety messages through social media:

Click to Tweet: Each July 4th, thousands of people, most often kids & teens, are injured while using consumer fireworks [http://ow.ly/58E8n #FireworkSafety

Careless and negligent actions or faulty firework manufacturers may be held liable for personal injuries, wrongful death, premises liability and product liability lawsuits! Stay safe!

About John M. O’Brien.
John M. O’Brien founder of John M. O’Brien & Associates is a highly appreciated personal injury attorney serving Elk Grove, Sacramento and San Francisco areas. If you are injured due to someone else’s negligence during 4th of July you can reach Mr. O’Brien at 916.714.8200 or 800.722.4176.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Wendy A. Mazzoni
Follow us on
Visit website