Islip, NY (PRWEB) January 15, 2014
As the Metro-New York region and much of the country are experiencing what meteorologists are calling a ‘polar vortex’, heating sources are working overtime to keep homes warn. Additionally, to increase the level of comfort, some homeowners are using portable room heaters to supplement the existing heating system. Alliance Chimney warns clients that both of these situations bring the potential for increased levels of carbon monoxide and the possibility for health risks.
In a January 7th post on on the website for The Reporter, a Vanderbilt University Medical Center website(http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/01/cold-weather-increases-chances-of-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-vanderbilt-toxicologist-offers-prevention-advice/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+vanderbilt-news+%28Vanderbilt+News%29), the extreme temperatures that are being felt across much of the country and especially in the northeast are causing increased use of home heating systems, fireplaces as well as wood and coal burning stoves. Additionally, for homes where the heating system is not as efficient or if the house is not properly insulated, certain areas of the house need an extra boost to get to an acceptable temperature. In these cases, homeowners will employ the use of space heaters. For homes that have lost power due to extreme weather, the homeowner may use a portable generator to power the home and the heating sources until power is restored.
While all of these situations are common at this time of year and the solutions do provide the warmth that is necessary for good health, they also increase the presence of carbon monoxide in the home as well. Known as the silent killer due to its odorless and colorless nature, carbon monoxide is responsible for an average of 170 deaths per year. Most, if not all, of these deaths are preventable if proper precautions are taken.
Alliance Chimney strongly urges that their clients and all home owners take these threats seriously and offer a number of tips to help ensure safety for all. Having your chimney inspected and cleaned is the first step to a healthy, warm home. Having the heating system as a whole inspected is equally important. Ensuring that all rooms are properly ventilated and that portable heaters are not used in rooms where the door is closed for long periods will help to prevent the build-up of carbon monoxide as well, especially overnight when the family is asleep. One of the easiest precautions that can be taken is to ensure that carbon monoxide detectors are in multiple locations throughout the house, have fresh batteries in them and are regularly tested. Business owners should also take heed of these tips as they are just as susceptible to the threat of carbon monoxide, which could result in not just health threats but also liability claims.
Alliance Chimney, a Long Island-based chimney repair company, serves over 10,000 households per year, is a Better Business Bureau Credited business as well as being a featured provider on Angie’s List. Along with its chimney repair and cleaning services which include video scans and animal removal, Alliance also offers fireplace, wood burning stove and furnace cleaning as well as roofing, gutter, siding and masonry services. Their expert staff brings an attention to detail that makes them one of the premier providers of chimney and roofing services to the Long Island and Queens area. Alliance also offers 60 minute emergency response services, guaranteeing that their expert technicians will be at your home or business within one hour of your call to assess the situation and make all necessary repairs. With locations in East Islip, Syosset and Westbury, Alliance Chimney is ideally suited for servicing homeowners and business owners’ though-out the Nassau, Suffolk and Queens areas as they have for the last 20 years. For more information call 1-866-397-5107 to speak to an Alliance expert