Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) June 25, 2012
Tick Populations in Philadelphia PA are exploding thanks to a mild winter. Tick control is essential to protect family and pets from dangerous tick borne illnesses including Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Homeowners can take action now with the top 5 tick control strategies provided by Giroud Tree and Lawn.
Peak season for ticks is summer; just when families and pets are enjoying the great outdoors. Tick Control starts first with understanding where ticks thrive. "Ticks usually live around the fringes of a yard," explains Lou Giroud, President of Giroud Tree and Lawn and ISA Certified Arborist. "Preferring shade and seeking protection from the sun, ticks hide out in ground level vegetation such as high grasses, underbrush, shrubs and woods."
Homeowners can learn how to find ticks in a demonstration video where Rob Nagy, Giroud Arborist and ISA Certified Arborist, uses a simple white bedsheet attached to a stick to locate ticks on a property. Besides identifying tick habitats, there are several tick control actions homeowners can take to protect family members:
1. Clean-up Overgrown Areas: Eliminate shady tick habitats by: cleaning up overgrown areas and pruning tree branches and shrubs around the lawn edge to let in more sunlight.
2. Create a Tick Barrier: Use woodchips, mulch or gravel to create a 3 foot barrier, like a firewall, between the lawn and unmanicured areas or stone walls.
3. Limit Groundcovers: Pachysandra and other popular groundcovers provide a perfect habitat for ticks. Restrict the use of groundcovers in areas frequented by family and pets.
4. Apply Deer Repellant: Deer are the primary carriers of ticks. Professional treatments are available that safely repel deer from the yard. The best products are odorless, water-resistant and must be applied every three months for year round protection.
5. Treat High Risk Areas: A tree service company with trained PA Certified applicators can treat high risk areas with a targeted pesticide application now and again in September/October. Additional treatments may be required in areas with the highest tick populations.
Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website provides detailed recommendations for families to follow before going outdoors and after coming inside.
Before going outdoors, treat boots, clothing and camping gear with products containing permethrin and protect skin using a repellent with 20% or more DEET. After coming inside, check clothing and body for ticks and shower within two hours. For more information on tick control actions contact Giroud Tree and lawn at 215-682-7704 or go to: http://www.giroudtree.com/contact-us.
About Giroud Tree and Lawn
Giroud Tree and Lawn specializes in tree service and lawn care program that make customers love doing business with the company since 1974. Serving Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties, the company offers professional tree and lawn evaluation, tree pruning, insect and disease control, fertilizing, tree removal, stump removal and traditional and organic lawn programs to keep lawns healthy and green . Giroud Arborists are certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and have the knowledge and experience required to properly diagnose, treat and maintain trees and lawn health. The company has been awarded the Angie's List Super Service Award® every year since 2005. The “Giroud Treework for Charity” program donates free tree care services to parks, historical sites and other non-profit organizations located in the Company’s service area. For more information, visit the company website at http://www.giroudtree.com or call 215-682-7704.