Westbrook, CT (PRWEB) July 30, 2014
Summer is here and that means hotter weather and higher risks for heat related illnesses such as heat stress. Many occupations require work in hot environments for long periods of time. Gowrie Group, a leading risk management expert and one of the nation's Top 100 independent insurance agencies, recommends following these safety guidelines to effectively reduce the risk of heat illnesses.
Gowrie Group's Guidelines for Reducing Heat Stress:
- Monitor the weather every day. When possible, reschedule work assignments to when the weather is cooler, or to cooler times of day.
- Make sure that you provide workers easy access to cold water near the work area. The water should be cool, at roughly 60 F if possible.
- Remind workers to drink water frequently throughout the work day to maintain hydration. During moderate activity one should consume at least on pint of water per hour.
- Remind workers that consuming too much water can be dangerous as well; workers should not consume more than 12 quarts in a 24 period.
- Schedule frequent rest periods with water breaks for employees.
- Check up on employees who are using protective clothing.
- Remind workers to avoid drinking liquids that contain caffeine or alcohol in them.
Know the Signs of Heat Related Illness:
- Weakness and wet skin
- Irritability or confusion
- Difficulty thinking clearly
- Thirst, nausea, or vomiting
Gowrie's Safety & Loss Prevention insights are created by Kellie Crete. Kellie manages Gowrie Group's Safety & Loss Prevention practice area and has more than 25 years of experience in safety and loss control, and specializes in advising the marine industry and other niche segments of the commercial marketplace. Kellie is an OSHA authorized instructor. For more information, email@example.com, p: 860.399.2881, c: 508.509.3788, http://www.gowrie.com/safety
Gowrie Group. Always on Watch. As one of the nation's Top 100 independent insurance agencies, Gowrie Group provides total risk management services to individuals and businesses with complex insurance needs. Gowrie Group offers comprehensive insurance solutions matched with trusted advice and a commitment to service excellence. Gowrie Group’s portfolio of offerings includes commercial, home/auto, equine, and yacht insurance, as well as employee benefits solutions. The company's 140+ professionals service clients across the US from offices in Westbrook CT, Darien CT, North Kingstown RI, and Newport RI. For more information, http://www.gowrie.com or 800.262.8911.
Souces: OSHA and Gowrie Group.
Additional OSHA heat stress resources.