“MeeGenius! takes pride in finding new writing talent to keep our ever-growing library of children’s literature new and fresh,” explained Yeap Hoh.
New York, NY (PRWEB) September 15, 2010
To commemorate National Literacy Month, Wandy Yeap Hoh and David Park, co-founders of MeeGenius! (http://www.MeeGenius.com), have announced a contest to find the best new children’s book authors. MeeGenius!, a new reading, bookstore and publishing application for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Web users, will award the winners a publishing deal with the innovative application, which Yeap Hoh and Park introduced to critical acclaim in April 2010. Celebrated novelists Laura Dave (author of The Divorce Party), Jane Green (author of Promises to Keep), and Allison Winn Scotch (author of The One That I Want) will lend their literary expertise as guest judges to assist MeeGenius! in its quest to find new manuscripts for children’s stories.
MeeGenius! invites aspiring authors everywhere to submit manuscripts for review from September 15 until 5 p.m. ET on October 31, 2010. The grand prize of an e-book publishing contract on the MeeGenius proprietary publishing platform and an iPad will be awarded to one talented winner. Four runners-up will receive an e-book publishing contract and an iPod Touch.
MeeGenius! will accept original stories with illustrations via the MeeGenius! author platform at http://www.meegenius.com/bookContest. The panel of judges, including Dave, Green, and Winn Scotch as well as Yeap Hoh and Park, will read all entries and select the next MeeGenius! publishing stars. Ten finalists will be chosen in November, from which the winners will be selected and awarded. The finalists’ stories will be posted on MeeGenius.com, so all visitors to the site will have a chance to provide feedback, praise and encouragement. Winners will be announced in January 2011. Stories will be judged on:
- Appropriate story/content for children ages three to eight
- Emotional connection
- Writing quality
- Read-aloud potential
Official rules and regulations can be found at http://www.meegenius.com/bookContest.
“MeeGenius! takes pride in finding new writing talent to keep our ever-growing library of children’s literature new and fresh,” explained Yeap Hoh. “We felt that a contest would be the perfect way to find budding writers eager to publish their work through the new MeeGenius! eBook publishing platform. We are so fortunate to have the talents of Laura Dave, Jane Green, and Allison Winn Scotch as guest judges and are grateful to these wonderful authors for lending their time and knowledge.”
As a gesture of appreciation for their services, MeeGenius! plans to donate five percent of the net revenues from all winning books to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® (http://www.bcrfcure.org/) supported by Dave, The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp (http://www.holeinthewallgang.org) supported by Green, and the Young Survival Coalition (http://www.youngsurvival.org/) supported by Winn Scotch.
Founded by parents Wandy Yeap Hoh and David Park, MeeGenius! is already receiving rave reviews from parents, media and industry groups. The $1.99 application has been downloaded thousands of times from iTunes and is among the top ten paid book apps on the site. It was highlighted in iTunes’ as "New and Noteworthy,” then "What's Hot," and most recently as an iPad "Staff Favorite." MeeGenius! is available now at http://www.MeeGenius.com or via the Apple app store at http://itunes.apple.com/app/meegenius/id364734296?mt=8. Authors and illustrators can visit http://www.MeeGenius.com/publish to learn more about publishing with MeeGenius!.
About Laura Dave:
Laura Dave is the acclaimed author of The Divorce Party, London Is The Best City In America, and The First Husband, which will be released in May 2011. She lives in Los Angeles California where she is adapting The First Husband for film.
About Jane Green:
A former feature writer for the Daily Express in the UK, British import Jane Green is the author of international bestsellers including Straight Talking and Jemima J. As well as writing a daily blog: http://www.janegreen.com, she contributes to various publications, both online and print, including Huffington Post, The Sunday Times, Wowowow, and Self. Green lives in Westport, Connecticut with her husband and their blended family.
About Allison Winn Scotch:
Allison Winn Scotch is the New York Times bestselling author of The One That I Want, Time of My Life, and The Department of Lost and Found. She lives in New York with her husband, their son, daughter and dog.
What people are saying about MeeGenius!:
- "A collection of beautifully illustrated classic books that come with audio playback, word highlighting, and personalization so you can read your child’s favorite stories to him on the road or under the blanket.” - Red Tricycle Parents Blog and E-newsletter
- After Oprah declared on her show, "[The iPad] is going to change the way kids learn," her Tech Guru @owasow tweeted "Other good interactive books for kids on iPad: Toy Story, MeeGenius, Cat in the Hat..."
- “What a wonderful app! My kids absolutely love these 'smart books.' My two year old loves the stories and my 4.5 year old tries to "read along"...a win-win for all.” – Parent
- “My kids loooove it and feel self confident about reading because they are able to read along with the narrator! It's an awesome app, a must have for developing early reading skills in a kid friendly way.” – Parent
- "MeeGenius is one the absolute best apps on the iPhone! As a parent, teacher and certified Mac geek, the iPhone and iPad are the best educational platforms for kids of all ages (including myself). Of the hundreds and hundreds of apps I have used, MeeGenius is, without a doubt, the best app I have come across and justifies any iPhone or iPad purchase." – Parent and Teacher
For updates, follow MeeGenius! on Twitter: twitter.com/meegenius
Become a Fan of MeeGenius! Facebook: facebook.com/meegenius
Media contacts: Julie Jarratt or Tish Gallegos, Glodow Nead Communications, (415) 394-6500