Modernism has thrived since the middle of the 20th century in Philadelphia. Now, talented and pro-active architects are in the process of redefining the city’s residential neighborhoods...
Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) July 16, 2012
As things get hot in the city in July, residents of Philadelphia have a pretty cool event to look forward to. On Saturday, July 28, Modern Home Tours will visit The City of Brotherly Love, offering residents a fun-filled day of Modern architecture exploration right in their own backyard.
The self-guided driving tour, less than two weeks away, will feature six to eight architecturally progressive and contemporary homes that exemplify modern living in the Philadelphia area. Ingrid Spencer, former managing editor and current contributing editor for Architectural Record magazine in New York City, is curating and has selected the homes for the 2012 Philadelphia Modern Home Tour.
The current list of confirmed architects and neighborhoods featured in the 2012 Philadelphia Modern Home Tour includes:
- A mid-20th century masterpiece designed by John Whitehead, in Glenside
- A trio of PA brick carriage houses converted into a single modern home by Alan Metcalfe, in Center City
- A classic 1920’s stone colonial house completely modernized by Alan Metcalfe, in West Mount Airy
- A truly contemporary modern home designed and built by renowned architect Otto Sperr, in Chadds Ford
- The Beta 2.5 House, the last and biggest of the original (8) 100K Houses by Interface Studio Architects, in Kensington
- The Belfield Homes, a brand-new subsidized 3-unit single family townhome development in North Philadelphia that is on track to be the first certified Passive House (green-living) in Philadelphia; co-designed by Plumbob/Onion Flats and Raise of Hope.
“Modernism has thrived since the middle of the 20th century in Philadelphia,” says Spencer. “From architects like Eliel Saarinen and Louis Kahn designing inspired public buildings, to prolific architectural masters like Ralph Rapson, with his Bauhaus influences, redefining housing for the region, Philadelphia has some of the most stunning examples of modern architecture in the region. Now, talented and pro-active architects are in the process of redefining the city’s residential neighborhoods, working collaboratively and creatively to overcome problems of blight and the regeneration of industrial areas.”
Participating homes will open their doors for viewing from 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM on Saturday, July 28, in and around Philadelphia. Tickets are $25 in advance; $30 on the day of the tour, available at designated locations.
The 2012 Philadelphia Modern Home Tour is being sponsored by Haiku Fans.
For details, a current list of homes, and all ticket information, please visit http://philadelphia.modernhometours.com
About Modern Home Tours, LLC: Based in Austin, Texas, Modern Home Tours, LLC was founded by partners Matt Swinney & James Leasure to introduce Modern architecture and living to people across the nation. Through fun and informative tours in dozens of cities across the USA and Canada, we invite people into some of the most exciting examples of Modern architecture and design in the nation. With carefully selected architects, neighborhoods, and architecture, our home tours are unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Not only will you learn about the cutting edge of home design while on our tours, but you might even get an idea or two for your next home project!