Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) April 6, 2010
The first practical book on genetic testing and predictive medicine written for the layperson, Outsmart Your Genes unlocks the secrets of leading a vibrant life by outlining genetically tailored solutions for health, wellness, and longevity. Dr. Colby's ground-breaking look into this emerging field separates myth from fact and explains how each of us can be protected against disease and what can be done once risk is determined. Through the power of predictive medicine, one can foresee overall health and potential risks before disease ever manifests. Predictive medicine uses comprehensive genetic testing and analysis to outsmart genes and change fates. Genetic testing is the most groundbreaking medical tool in decades--a true revolution in the evolution of medicine. Instead of waiting for disease to occur and then diagnosing and treating, predictive medicine empowers doctors and their patients with personalized, proactive prevention.
Outsmart Your Genes explains:
- What genetic information can reveal about overall health, and how patient and physician can use that information to create a genetically tailored plan to predict, prevent, and prevail over cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, obesity, and many other life-changing conditions.
- How genetic testing can help both prospective and current parents protect the health of their children against a number of diseases, including autism, asthma, dyslexia, multiple sclerosis, obesity, diabetes, SIDS, and other causes of sudden death.
- Why testing children, teenagers and young adults may provide the best chance they have to fight diseases that won’t manifest until later in life, including Alzheimer’s, many forms of cancer, and even hearing loss.
- How and why the cutting edge of genetic technology allows patients and physicians to focus only on relevant information, thereby avoiding information overload.
- The important concepts everyone needs to understand before speaking with a physician.
Part I, The Genetic Revolution: Let’s Live Healthier and Longer, introduces predictive medicine and discusses in very straight-forward terms how genes affect health and why genetic testing is valuable for the individual. It describes for the first time the revolutionary new advancements in the field of genetic testing invented by Dr. Colby himself that make genetic information actionable and understandable for the lay-person and his or her physician.
Part II, Outsmart Your Genetic Destiny with Predictive Medicine, discusses specific conditions and diseases that are caused by changes within our genetic code and explains how, once we are aware of our susceptibility, we can make changes and effect treatments that will lower our risk or even prevent the diseases from manifesting. In this section of the book, Dr. Colby demonstrates exactly how genetic technology can now be applied to the practice of medicine.
Click to learn more about OUTSMART YOUR GENES and Dr. Brandon Colby, MD.
About Dr. Brandon Colby - Dr. Colby is a medical doctor, geneticist, inventor, and entrepreneur who has been involved in the genetics field for more than 12 years, first as a researcher and now as a practicing physician. He has conducted extensive research in the field of advanced clinical genetic analysis, inventing numerous technologies that make comprehensive genetic screening understandable, useful, and empowering to both the physician and the patient. Dr. Colby is also the only practicing physician in the world to have designed a first-of-its-kind genechip that analyzes thousands of genes at once, thereby allowing Dr. Colby not only to assess a person's risk for hundreds of diseases at a single time at relatively low cost, but also to concurrently provide genetically tailored preventive recommendations. In addition to serving as the Medical Director of Existence Health, a predictive medicine practice based in Los Angeles, Dr. Colby is also the founder and CEO of Existence Genetics, a pioneering company that provides the health care industry with access to cutting-edge predictive medicine services. Dr. Colby holds a degree in Genetics from the University of Michigan Honors Program, an MD from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and an MBA from Stanford University's Graduate School of Business. He serves as an Affiliate Specialist of the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG), an associate of the American College of Preventive Medicine (ACPM), and is a member of the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) and the American Medical Association (AMA).
Outsmart Your Genes is published by Perigee Books, an imprint of Penguin Group USA