Fargo, ND (Vocus) November 4, 2009
The holidays would not be the same without family, friends, extravagant meals and decadent desserts. Head Over Tails for Pets reminds pet owners “people food” can be very dangerous -- even lethal, to pets. During this holiday season, take extra precautions to avoid a proverbial pet buffet by eliminating unattended food or food dropped on the floor.
The list below highlights some of the most common foods that can be dangerous for pets. This is not an exhaustive list and any decision to provide pets with food not specifically intended for animals should be discussed with a veterinarian or pet nutritionist.
Xylitol: It is a low-calorie sugar substitute found in gums, mints, toothpaste and sugar-free baked goods. Even a small amount can cause liver failure and death.
- Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
- Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
- Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous.
- Coffee, Coffee Grounds, Tea and Tea Bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause seizures, coma and death.
- Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general. The high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER. Use only salt/sugar free ORGANIC peanut butter as regular peanut butter contains toxins and is full of pesticides.
- Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.
- Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and damage a dog’s internal organs. Raw bone should always be supervised, as a piece can always break off and cause problems.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia. The tomato plant is the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
- Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.
- The Seeds/Pits of Apples, Cherries, Peaches and Similar Fruit: These fruits are great for your dog -- HOWEVER, the seeds/pits of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them.
- Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. It is best to use organic eggs if served raw, but scrambled lightly is best.
- Sugar and Corn Syrups: All, even organic, sugars and corn syrups are dangerous for pets.
It is important to work with a veterinarian or pet nutritionist to establish a healthy, balanced diet for pets. When additional nutrient support is needed, supplements are available to assist with a healthy, well-balanced diet. Below are supplements designed specifically for pets:
Head Over Tails for Pets Multi-Nutrient For Cats & Kittens: Veterinarian-recommended multi-nutrient for cats provides extra nutrition for cats and kittens. Each tablet contains essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients--including essential fatty acids for a healthy, luxurious coat.
Head Over Tails for Pets Time Release Multi-Nutrient For Puppies: Puppies need extra nourishment to help them grow strong and healthy and to develop beautiful coats. This multi-nutrient for puppies delivers a special blend of vitamins, minerals and fatty acids in timed-release tablets that taste like treats.
Head Over Tails for Pets Time Release Multi-Nutrient Adult Dogs: Supplement the diet of an adult dog with a multi-nutrient tablets. Each tablet delivers 25 vital nutrients that are slowly released into their systems and tastes like a treat.
Head Over Tails for Pets Happy Stomach: This concentrated enzyme is blended with live/viable probiotics to support a healthy digestive tract and help ease the effects of dietary change and general stomach upset. The palatable powder mixes easily with any food and is safe for regular use.
Head Over Tails for Pets offers a better way to shop for your dogs and cats. The company specializes in offering the best pet products available, including organic pet food, healthy treats, natural pet supplements and professional grooming tools. At headovertails.com -- the premium online pet store -- you will find over 500 of the finest products available for your favorite dogs and cats.