Our goal for the festival is to make both parents and students aware of the value of accreditation and explain how ABET assures quality technical programs and stimulates innovation.
Washington, DC (PRWEB) January 12, 2012
As parents are setting their New Year’s resolutions for the family, it may be time to shake up the traditional family vacation and consider doing something more productive and educational with that precious family time. Rather than the usual trip to the beach or amusement park, consider taking the family to the USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo and Book Fair — the nation’s largest celebration of science and engineering that will take place April 28-29, 2012 in Washington, D.C.
ABET will be featured in the Career Pavilion as an exhibitor and will be on hand to emphasize the importance of education, especially in an accredited program. We will explain how the proper collegiate program can shape them into future innovators and boundary breakers. Learn more about the exhibit by visiting the USA Science & Engineering Festival exhibitor’s page.
“Because so much of a student's future success depends on educational foundation, the quality of the education makes a big difference,” said Dr. Rochelle Williams, Educational Research and Assessment Manager. “Our goal for the festival is to make both parents and students aware of the value of accreditation and explain how ABET assures quality technical programs and stimulates innovation.”
Leading science celebrities like Bill Nye the Science Guy and Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage of the MythBusters will appear live during the Festival, along with Jeff Lieberman from Discovery Channel’s Time Warp and Apollo Robbins, the Gentleman Thief from National Geographic’s Brain Games. Kids can meet award-winning Featured Authors in their own K-12 Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Book Fair, including Homer Hickam, autobiographer of October Sky, and Bruce Degen, illustrator of Magic School Bus series. Cast members from popular scientific TV shows are also expected to participate in the Festival.
Here are the top five reasons why the Festival Family Getaway is a better option than the beach or amusement park for your family:
1. There’s a ton of “wow” power that will engage your whole family as you explore everything from 3D environments to operating robots and flying simulated jet fighters, learning how they work and having the freedom to operate them – unlike a museum where everything is hands off. No one will be telling you, “I’m bored,” on this vacation, even if it rains. (See exhibits and stage shows.)
2. In addition to the Hollywood celebrities, your kids will be just as amazed to see science celebrities like astronauts, explorers, authors, entrepreneurs and the developers of their favorite video games.
3. The kids will be learning about science, technology, engineering and math without even realizing it; and they might just become inspired toward a future career path in one of the hot professions they see in action at the Festival’s Career Pavilion, job fair and college fair. Parents will be especially interested in learning about scholarships, internships, mentorships, after-school programs and citizen science programs that help keep that inspiration growing long after the Festival.
4. There’s no chance that the parents will be bored. You are welcome to get involved in hands-on demonstrations that will amaze you as much as the kids; and you’ll find plenty of interesting performers to fascinate you with their stories of scientific adventure and discovery, as well as comedy, music, theater, book signings and special evening events.
5. The entire festival is FREE! All you have to do is get there.
“When you look back over the years at the many family getaways you’ve invested in, we’re sure the USA Science and Engineering Festival will stack up as one of the best – on par with the fun of going to an amusement park, with a lot lower cost and better educational value,” said Bock. “Plus, there are dozens of other great things to do while you’re in Washington DC that will make it a great trip for the whole family.”
ABET, the recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering and technology, is a federation of 31 professional and technical societies representing these fields. Among the most respected accreditation organizations in the U.S., ABET has provided leadership and quality assurance in higher education for more than 75 years.
ABET currently accredits over 3,100 programs at more than 600 colleges and universities worldwide. More than 2,000 dedicated volunteers participate annually in ABET activities. ABET also provides leadership internationally through workshops, consultancies, memoranda of understanding, and mutual recognition agreements, such as the Washington Accord. ABET is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditaiton.
About the USA Science & Engineering Festival:
The USA Science & Engineering Festival is the country’s only national science festival, and was developed to increase public awareness of the importance of science and to encourage youth to pursue careers in science and engineering by celebrating science in much the same way as we celebrate Hollywood celebrities, professional athletes and pop stars. Lockheed Martin is again the presenting host of the USA Science & Engineering Festival and is joined by many other Festival sponsors and partners. The USA Science & Engineering Festival is a grassroots collaboration of over 500 of the United States leading science and engineering organizations. For more information on the USA Science & Engineering Festival, please visit the Festival website.