After two weeks on the diet, my primary doctor cut my diabetes prescription in half!
Tampa, FL (PRWEB) October 29, 2012
Medi-Weightloss Clinics® announces Acute DM, a weight management and fitness program for diabetics. Many overweight and obese individuals also suffer from type 2 diabetes or could be prediabetic. Losing weight, in addition to improving appearance and confidence, can have a positive impact on overall health.
The Acute DM program was specifically developed by medical weight loss experts to support the nutritional needs of diabetics. Acute DM can help people with type 2 diabetes lose weight and improve their overall health.
- More than 25 million Americans have diabetes. Another 79 million are prediabetic, with elevated blood sugar levels that can eventually result in type 2 diabetes. (1)
- Diabetes is the nation’s seventh leading cause of death and a major cause of heart disease and stroke.
- Diabetes accounts for $174 billion in total healthcare costs. (1)
- As little as a 5-10% decrease in body weight can improve insulin action, decrease fasting glucose concentrations, and reduce the need for some diabetes medications.
- Overweight individuals who lose as little as 10-15 pounds and exercise at least 30 minutes a day five times a week can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by nearly 60%.
Patient Stephanie Giewont was an overweight diabetic before joining the Medi-Weightloss Clinics® Program and losing 120 pounds.
“After two weeks on the diet, my primary doctor cut my diabetes prescription in half! My diabetes is under control with diet and exercise and my sugar levels have stabilized. I have more energy and more confidence in myself. I went from a size 24 to a size 6,” Giewont says. Read more on her story, as reported by the Observer.
November is American Diabetes Month®. Being overweight or obese significantly increases an individual’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes. More than 80% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight. (2) Medi-Weightloss Clinics® is offering free diabetes screenings and body composition analyses to new patients to promote awareness of these often related health conditions.
About Medi-Weightloss Clinics®
Designed by experts in medicine, public health, nutrition, exercise, and wellness, Medi-Weightloss Clinics® is a three-phase, physician-supervised weight loss program that works. Highly skilled physicians and medical professionals provide individualized care based on patients’ goals, health, and medical history. The program includes weekly consultations with a member of the medical team that focus on nutrition, lifestyle, and exercise. Medi-Weightloss Clinics® educates patients on how to lose weight in the real world using real food, and provides them with recipes, shopping lists, and guidance for dining out. Patients learn how to overcome temptations and win the weight loss battle through the Wellness Phase, designed to help patients keep the weight off once they reach their goals.
Medi-Weightloss Clinics® has over 80 locations across the nation. The free diabetes screening is valid only at participating locations.
(1) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/factsheet11.htm.
(2) National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. “Do you know the Health Risks of Being Overweight?” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved from win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/health_risks.htm