Proper installation and maintenance of your heating system can prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Lincoln, RI (Vocus) November 15, 2010
Cold winter weather can sneak up on us, so Amica Insurance reminds you it’s time to make sure your home heating system can run safely and efficiently.
“Proper installation and maintenance of your heating system can prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Sean Welch, a senior assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “It doesn’t matter what type of fuel you use to heat your home, your heating system should be inspected to protect your home and family - and to save on heating bills.”
Here are a few tips to keep you safe and warm:
- Clean and inspect vents and chimneys.
- Arrange for a professional to inspect your heating system.
- Check ventilation around heating system.
- Change and clean furnace filters.
- Make sure ductwork is insulated.
- Remove flammable material around your heating source.
- Make sure there is a carbon monoxide alarm and a fire alarm near your heating system.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in an easily accessible area around your heating system.
“It’s also important to use extra caution with space heaters, which are a leading cause of house fires,” Welch said. “While you are keeping your family warm remember to keep them safe.”
For additional tips, visit the National Fire Protection Association’s heating safety tips page.
About Amica Mutual Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
50 Amica Way
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155
800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.
# # #