Norwalk, Conn. (PRWEB) May 23, 2007
There is a way to tan safely. Self-tanners and sunless products are the key to showing off a radiant glow without exposing the skin to the sun. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing way, but it's not a high price to pay in the name of beauty. AP9 ShoppingEssentials, a leading discount membership program offered by Adaptive Marketing LLC, wants to advise consumers on how to use self-tanners without looking mottled and orange.
There are three things to keep in mind when self-tanning: patience, moderation, and practice. Similar to the effects of tanning under the sun, it's important to remember that the color is not going to change all of a sudden, and that a little bit can go a long way. AP9 Shopping Essentials has put together some useful recommendations for ideal "home-made," sun-kissed skin:
1. Exfoliate and moisturize. Dry skin absorbs fake tan faster than moisturized skin, so it's necessary to keep the skin clean and moisturized to obtain an even result. When exfoliating and hydrating, areas such as the knees, elbows, wrists and ankles require special attention, since those tend to be drier. Once the skin has absorbed the moisturizer, it's time to start with the self-tanner.
2. Find the right one for you. Self-tanners come in many varieties, from top, expensive brands to more affordable ones, reports AP9 ShoppingEssentials. The choices also include different hues (self-tanners, bronzers and "glow" lotions) and types: gels, foams, lotions, powders, towelettes or sprays. Choosing the appropriate self-tanner requires specific information, time to shop around and perhaps some trial and error. A little experimenting can help you find out what works best for you.
3. Handle with care. Staining is almost inevitable when a self-tanner is involved, so dedication and care are essential parts of the application process. Generally, spray, gel and foam products dry faster than lotions, but they need time to dry completely. Stay as bare as possible while applying, and wait for at least 20 minutes for the product to penetrate the skin completely. Start from the feet, applying evenly (using upward strokes to avoid streaking) over one part of the body at a time.
4. Pay attention to the face and palms. Most self-tanning mistakes are committed right where they're most noticeable: the face. The key is to apply a thin layer first, using a cotton swab or a make-up sponge to increase the color gradually if it's not dark enough. Another trick is to apply petroleum jelly over the hairline and the eyebrows, so they don't get stained. To avoid funny-looking palms, some recommend using surgical or plastic gloves to apply the self-tanner, but this can complicate an even distribution of the product. Another suggestion is to wash both hands frequently between applications on different sections of the body.
5. Maintain the color. Since self-tanners only affect the surface of the skin, all skincare products with exfoliating ingredients -- AHAs, BHA, topical scrubs and Retin-A, among others -- should be avoided in order to keep that tawny shade, notes AP9 ShoppingEssentials. Continue using the self-tanner as frequently as you consider appropriate, and keep the skin moisturized. Remember that most sunless tanners don't contain sunscreen or sunblock, so it's recommended that you use at least one of them if you want to spend some time under the sun to enhance the color.
Consumers can save on a wide array of personal and home needs like brand-name items for the entire family, fashion and accessories -- and even entertainment -- when they make their purchases through AP9 Shopping Essentials.
About AP9 ShoppingEssentials
AP9 Shopping Essentials is a leading membership discount program offered by Adaptive Marketing LLC. Headquartered in Norwalk, Conn., Adaptive Marketing is a category leader in membership programs, bringing value direct to consumers through an array of benefits in healthcare, discounts, security, personal property and personals. Members may access their benefits at Shopping-Essentials.com. With broad online and offline distribution capabilities, Adaptive Marketing offers its corporate client partners effective tools to enhance market presence, strengthen customer affinity and generate additional value through programs such as AP9 ShoppingEssentials.