San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) February 29, 2012
SNAC’s creator and director, world-renowned artist Meamar, whose artwork is on permanent exhibit at Art People Gallery, conceived this annual competition of artists without borders with a view to providing visibility to emerging artists around the world by means of online social networks. He was promptly joined in this endeavor by the executive teams of ABRA Gallery in Los Angeles, and of ArtExpo Tehran. Artist Nasrin Barekat, the Competition’s executive director, and her team also came on board early on. Together they planned a strategy that would allow the first Social Network for Art Competition (SNAC) to see the light of day, and the decision was made to dedicate the pilot program to Iranian artists around the world.
In the summer of 2011, a page called Farakhan (“Call for artwork” in Farsi) was created on Facebook, inviting Iranian artists to submit three pieces of their artwork within a limited time frame. By September 2011, 1,400 artists had responded to Farakhan’s call for artwork. Facebook visitors were then asked to LIKE their favorite artwork, and their response was overwhelming! In December 2011 a jury selected 30 artists among the top 150 LIKED by the public.
The 30 selected artists were awarded an opportunity to show their work in selected venues around the world.
In January 2012, the artwork of the winning artists began its world tour. The touring exhibit calendar is as follows:
- January 2012: Fravahr Gallery, Tehran, Iran;
- March 8-21, 2012: ABRA Gallery, Los Angeles, United States - Reception: March 10th from 5-9pm;
- March 22-31, 2012: Art People Gallery, San Francisco, United States - Reception: March 24th from 4-9pm;
- April 20-25, 2012: Haftsamar Art Gallery, Tehran, Iran.
SNAC Iran 2011 Top 30 Artists is a publication produced by Art People Gallery which features the artwork of the 30 winners of SNAC Iran 2011.
Art People Gallery announces the launch of SNAC Ukraine 2012, the new edition of the Social Network Art Competition, in March 2012. For more details, please visit snac-expo.com.
The Social Network Art Competition or SNAC is an organization whose primary objective is to promote individual artists from around the world on a per nationality basis, using both electronic social networks as well as gallery representation.
To achieve its mission, SNAC will accomplish the following:
1. Establish competition on a per nationality basis, and allow all the artists from that ationality to participate, regardless of their location in the world;
2. Allow communities across the world to vote for their favorite artwork;
3. Appoint a jury to select the winners among participants;
4. Display winning artwork in selected venues around the world.
SNAC Headquarters, Art People Gallery, 50 Post St., Suite 41, San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: (415) 956-3650