Dallas, TX (PRWEB) October 1, 2009
Today is the 12th anniversary of the 1997 Pearl High School rampage (suburban Jackson, MS) that started the global school massacre trend. For 12 years, Dr. William H. Dodson, the former Pearl school superintendent, searched for the answer to one question: Could we have prevented the attack? His unflinching answer detailed in his just released book is yes.
If Only I Had Known, A True Story--The Life-Saving Solution Thousands Have Used to Stop School Massacres, is Dodson's riveting account of the school massacre that happened on his watch and the strategy that over 20,000 education, law enforcement, and mental health professionals have quietly used to stop countless attacks and threats since 1997.
Dodson's book is the only book written by a school executive who experienced a school massacre . . . and he answers the three key questions behind school attacks like the Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres.
1. Most student attackers can be identified before an attack without stereotyping.
2. Why attacks occur almost exclusively in the safest locales: suburbs and small towns.
3. Almost every school that has used a specific intervention has seen threats stop and attacks averted.
If Only I Had Known also reveals:
- The details of a three-point intervention that quantifiably stops school attacks, bomb and mass shooting threats, and costly school evacuations. (The intervention was developed by Dan Korem (http://www.koremassociates.com), author of Rage of the Random Actor).
- Why there are postal shooting rampages but not FedEx--even though both are in the delivery business . . . and how educators are doing what they call "the FedEx thing" on campuses to stop threats.
- After 9/11, only one region in the US didn't have school threats--it was the only region that applied the 3-point strategy.
- The myth is that these attackers are hard to spot before they strike. In fact, virtually every student attacker has two easy-to-spot behavioral traits that can be identified without stereotyping. Within weeks of applying the three-point intervention in a student's daily life, threats and discipline referrals quantifiably stop and classroom performance dramatically improves.
- Stunning similarities between the Pearl and Columbine school attacks.
Dr. Dodson is a former president of the Mississippi School Administrators Association and is currently a trustee of a local community college and serves as adjunct professor.
If Only I Had Known is published by International Focus Press, which also published the critically acclaimed JFK: Breaking the News, the companion to the Public Television special, and Rage of the Random Actor. To preview the first chapter click here (http://www.ifpinc.com)
# # #