Loxahatchee, FL (PRWEB) August 26, 2009
IntegraScan, an industry leading background check provider, released a list of 7 powerful tips to help small businesses background check applicant's without straining their budget.
While the economy is starting to show signs of life, small business budgets are still tight. In times like these, hiring the wrong individual could sink your company. Here are 7 tips to help ensure that doesn't happen:
1. Verify the Applicant's Social Security Number - One of the most important factors is to verify the applicant's identity using a Social Security number. Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in America and an easy way for a criminal to hide their past. A free tool to verify a person's name, ssn, year of birth and address history is located at http://ssnverify.integrascan.com
2. Verify the Applicant's Residential History - 98% of crimes are committed within a 50 mile radius of the offenders home address. Being armed with an address history tells you exactly what counties and states to check for existing records. The ssn verification tool listed above will provide you with this information. You can save money by visiting the courthouses in the counties your applicant has lived. You don't need any special permission to access the information. It's public record.
3. Sex Offender Searches - Don't leave this one off. If you hire a background check company this should always be included. However if money is tight you can use the FBI's Crimes Against Children Website to check for free. It can be located at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/registry.htm. Use the applicant's address history to know which states to check.
4. Don't Just Search Criminal Records - Also search bankruptcies, tax liens, judgments, municipal court and traffic court. They can go a long way in telling you about a person's character. A person with financial problems may not be the one to put in charge of the company till. Or a person with DUI charges is not someone you want driving kids around. This information can usually be accessed at the same courthouse criminal records are held at. It is also public record.
5. Check State and Federal Records - Both types of convictions can be very serious. To save money you can run a preliminary scan of Federal records at PACER http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/. If you get a name match you can dig deeper to see if it's your applicant or someone else with the same name. PACER charges are only $0.08 per page and you will not be billed if your charges do not exceed $10 per year.
6. Check Coverage Before You Order a Database Scan - Several companies like IntegraScan offer both instant database scans and hand searches. Although database scans are usually much cheaper not every record is included in a database search. Some states and counties don't make this information available in electronic format. Make sure you check the database coverage against your applicant's address history. Some places he/she has lived may not be covered and need to be searched by hand.
7. If You're a Non-Profit or Work with Children You May be Entitled to a Discount - Many background check organizations offer huge discounts or free searches to non-profits and youth organizations. Make sure you check with a perspective provider to see if you qualify.
Following these 7 simple steps will help ensure that your company has the high-quality employees required for sustained profitability, as well as a healthy budget.
IntegraScan is a leading provider of background check and criminal records services in the US. Their unrivaled commitment to provide the utmost in accurate, complete records and information is the benchmark for the industry as a whole and helps ensure that all searchers have access to the information required to guarantee safety and security.
sales2 (at) integrascan (dot) com