(PRWEB) October 03, 2014
A good breakfast satisfies you until lunch. A better breakfast prepares you to conquer the day! September is Better Breakfast Month, which is all about making breakfast a priority. Rebecca Lang, author of five cookbooks, is an advocate for starting the day with a healthy, tasty breakfast.
“It’s important to start your day with nutritious foods,” said Lang. “But you don’t have to sacrifice flavor for nutrition. There are plenty of quick and delicious recipes that will have you looking forward to breakfast!”
According to Lang, the building blocks of a better breakfast are:
- Protein: Foods high in protein like eggs, nuts and meats help you feel full faster. This can help control overeating.
- Complex carbohydrates: Make your breakfast with whole grain bread instead of white bread and you will feel full longer. Lang suggests Roman Meal whole grain bread. Most varieties contain at least 21 grams of whole grains per serving, which is half of the recommended daily value.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Experts recommend anywhere from 5-13 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Start your day off right by incorporating fruits and vegetables in your breakfast and you will be more likely to eat them throughout the day.
- Local ingredients: Buying local is better for the environment and usually tastes better. Roman Meal bread is always baked fresh, locally by regional bakers across the country.
“The Roman Meal website has great recipes that incorporate all of my better breakfast building blocks,” Lang shared. “My kids can’t get enough of the Whole Grain French Toast and Tropical Fruit Kabobs. I love to make the Whole Grain Florentine Egg Cups whenever I host a brunch.”
For more great-tasting breakfast recipes, visit RomanMeal.com. You can also enter the Roman Meal Baked Fresh Sweepstakes throughout the month of September at Facebook.com/RomanMeal. Receive a $1 coupon when you enter to win $2,500.
Whole Grain Recipes from Roman Meal
A) Whole Grain Florentine Egg Cups
Prep Time: 5 Minutes; Cook Time: 20 Minutes; Ready In: 25 Minutes; Servings: 6
- 6 slices of Roman Meal bread
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- ½ cup of Chopped baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup of Crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ tsp of Chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Trim crusts from bread. Press gently into 6 muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown; remove from oven.
3. Spray medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add eggs, spinach, cheese, oregano and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until desired degree of doneness.
4. Fill bread cups with cooked egg and cheese mixture. Top with oregano sprigs if desired.
B) Spring Asparagus Ham and Egg Sandwich
Prep Time: 15 Minutes; Ready In: 15 Minutes; Servings: 2
- 6 Asparagus spears, grilled
- 1 oz of Prosciutto ham, very thinly sliced
- 2 slices of Roman Meal bread, toasted
- 2 large Eggs, soft poached
- 4 slices of Avocado
- 2 tsp of Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Black pepper, to taste
1. Wrap sliced ham around asparagus spears.
2. Top each slice of toasted bread with 3 ham wrapped asparagus spears, 1 egg and 2 slices avocado.
3. Sprinkle with cheese and black pepper.
C) Whole Grain French Toast and Tropical Fruit Kabobs
Prep Time: 5 Minutes; Cook Time: 11 Minutes; Ready In: 16 Minutes; Servings: 6
- 2 large of Eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup of Milk
- 1 tsp of Vanilla extract, divided
- 6 slices of Roman Meal bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tbsp of Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of Fresh lemon zest
- 18 1-inch cubes fresh fruit (kiwi, pineapple, mango)
- 6 6-inch bamboo skewers
- Yogurt and honey (optional)