For homes where it is not possible to replace existing, older window treatments, consumers can call us at 888-303-3329 to request free retrofit kits.
Irvine, CA (PRWEB) October 1, 2009
It only takes a few seconds for a toddler, preschooler or adolescent to be accidentally strangled when window cords are within their reach. Tragically, nearly a dozen children die a year from window cord related accidents.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) strongly recommends that consumers repair or replace Mini Blinds and other corded window coverings purchased before 2001 with safer products now available. Parents are strongly advised to update all corded window blinds, shades, and shutters to meet these standards and help keep their children safe.
"We advise consumers to choose products that eliminate or completely conceal cords such as those with our Cordless Option, including Honeycomb Shades, Roller Shades or Vertical Blinds. Motorized versions of Honeycomb Shades, Horizontal Sheers and Roller Shades are safer also. We also recommend Shutters for homes where small children are present," says Karin Miller, Vice President of Merchandising and Product Development. "For homes where it is not possible to replace existing, older window treatments, consumers can call us at 888-303-3329 to request free retrofit kits."
3 Day Blinds, along with the CPSC, has developed the following guidelines:
Window Covering Safety Tips
- Replace all window treatments in the home made before 2001 with today's safer products.
- Install only cordless window coverings in young children's bedrooms and sleeping areas.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
- Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Make sure that tasseled pull cords are short and continuous cord loops are permanently anchored to the floor or wall. Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords. Use cord cleats to wrap pull cords our of children's reach.
- Never mount products with back cords, such as Roman and Woven Wood Shades, in windows accessible to children.
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a windowsill.
- For assistance in selecting a product that is safer for your child, contact 3 Day Blinds child safety experts at 888-303-3329 or visit 3dayblinds.com.
About 3 Day Blinds™
Founded in Southern California in 1978, 3 Day Blinds is the leading retail manufacturer of custom window treatments in the country. Supported by state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities and leading edge product design, 3 Day Blinds offers a wide selection of custom blinds, shades, and shutters. They service their customers with over 200 fulltime Design Consultants in 15 states, providing friendly, professional "in home" design consultation, sales and installation. Consumers can also purchase their own custom window treatments online at 3dayblinds.com and yes; everything can be done in 3 Days! For more information on how to select beautiful, affordable window treatments that last, or to schedule a free quote, call 888.303.3329 or go to http://www.3dayblinds.com.
# # #