With other apps on the market that encourage an unhealthy obsession with numbers on the scale, a narrow definition of beauty, and quick fixes to deep, emotional issues, Body Beautiful gives women a practical tool to fight our toxic culture...
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) September 15, 2011
Body Beautiful, the first iPhone app designed to promote positive body image among women and girls, is now available in the App Store.
Body Beautiful, which has already charted as a top paid app in the Health and Fitness category, features inspirational quotes, media articles, videos and tools to help users cultivate a positive self-image and fight body dissatisfaction.
The app hosts a growing collection of quotes from celebrities, self-esteem experts and authors such as Tyra Banks, Demi Moore, Ralph Waldo Emerson and even Ben Stiller’s character in the movie Zoolander. Body Beautiful’s unique photo-stamp feature allows users to encourage a friend by imprinting an inspiring quote or phrase on a photo of her.
The content can be easily shared through Facebook, Twitter and email.
Rebecca Bass-Ching, LMFT, and Eating Disorder Specialist, believes using simple tools like Body Beautiful can go a long way in helping women and girls fight body dissatisfaction and disordered eating behaviors.
“With other apps on the market that encourage an unhealthy obsession with numbers on the scale, a narrow definition of beauty, and quick fixes to deep, emotional issues, Body Beautiful gives women a practical tool to fight our toxic culture and connect with each other through encouraging words and images.” says Bass-Ching.
Having experienced her own body image issues, Allie Marie Smith, the 28-year-old developer of Body Beautiful, decided it was time to create a mobile tool to help women like her cultivate a healthier self-image. Plagued by debilitating low self-esteem throughout high school, Smith struggled with disordered eating habits. “I constantly believed I was fat even though I wasn’t. For a while I took diet pills and would often binge and even throw up. Like many girls, I believed the lie that I had to be perfect to be loved and being perfect meant being thin like the girls in the magazines.”
Smith’s experience is not uncommon. According to a 2008 survey sponsored by SELF Magazine, 3 out of 4 of all American women experience some unhealthy thoughts, feelings or behaviors related to food or their bodies.
“Body Beautiful is a breath of fresh air that will have a powerful domino effect in our culture,” says Bass-Ching.
Body Beautiful features include:
- “Truth” section includes a growing collection of quotes about true beauty and body-image from celebrities, authors, athletes, and popular songs and movies. Shake your iPhone to change quotes.
- “Photo-Stamp” feature lets you imprint encouraging messages on a photo of yourself or a friend and share via email and social media.
- “Pledge” section lets you share the Body Beautiful pledge via email and Facebook and join the fight against the media’s standard of beauty, end "fat-talk", and love your body.
- “Buzz” section streams relevant media articles and news stories that promote healthy body image and expose false cultural ideals about beauty.
- “Extras” include links to organizations, resources and videos to inspire and equip you on your Body Beautiful journey. Customizable preferences include ability to put a personal picture on the home-screen.
Body Beautiful is available for download for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch at the App Store for $0.99 US.
# # #