“Buyers, after waiting many months, are motivated to enjoy what’s left of their best years. Boomers’ have said; “Its time, we are not getting any younger”.
Wilmington, NC (PRWEB) October 7, 2010
What impact has the economic downturn had on U.S. retirement migration? Survey findings suggest retirees and baby boomers are still looking to relocate south.
For decades, U.S. retirees have moved south for a lower cost of living and warmer winter weather. Recent events suggest that trend will continue, but cost and affordability are ranking as top factors. Dave Robertson, RPI Media, Inc., President, said, “Buyers, after waiting many months, are motivated to enjoy what’s left of their best years. Boomers’ have said; “Its time, we are not getting any younger”.
September, Live South Shows in Huntington, NY, Parsippany, NJ and McLean, VA welcomed nearly 3,000 people. Attendees compared exhibits and met community representatives from throughout the south as well as watched seminars on relocation, retirement choices and home building. More than 300 people answered a 20-question survey. Respondent findings:
- 47% were seniors or Boomers aged 56-65, 30% 45-55 years old.
- 85% were married
- 87% are interested in southeastern states
- Proximity to water was preferred. 61% on the coast, 42% lake
- 44% are seeking a new custom home
- 51% prefer a home sized 2,000 - 2, 499 square feet
- Walking, travel, beach going and swimming were the top recreational interests
- 70% did not report belonging to a social networking site. Of those that did, 80% belonged to Facebook.
- Time spent online: 58% use time for research, 56% news, 47% travel, 44% social, 42% financial, 39% shopping.
- 53% of respondents say they will work Part Time in retirement.
- 12% reported home values > $800K
- 75% plan to use home equity for a replacement property
- Milder climate and lower costs of living/taxes continue to be the two main contributing factors for retiring or a buying a snowbird residence in the south.
For more information, including the 2011 Winter Show Schedule, visit http://www.LiveSouthShows.com. For more respondent findings, please contact Lee Hauser, Advertising and PR Manager leeh(at)livesouth(dot)com.
RPI Media, Inc, LiveSouth.com and Ideal Living Magazine connect communities with Retiree & 2nd homebuyers and provide comprehensive resources for finding and comparing; golf, gated, waterfront, mountain, retirement, condominium and multi-family communities, through publications, real estate shows, and websites.
# # #