Great ideas don’t make money. The strategies that implement them do.
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) July 11, 2012
Entrepreneurs come in a lot of different stripes and colors. Some are outgoing, some are introverted, some are detail-oriented and others are big-picture thinkers. While there are vast differences in their individual personalities, successful entrepreneurs tend to share certain characteristics and work habits. Bop Design, a San Diego marketing agency that works with many entrepreneurs, has identified 5 key characteristics of successful entrepreneurs. Bop Design Business Principal, Jeremy Durant comments, "We work exclusively with entrepreneurial businesses and it's amazing that all of our clients share these same five qualities."
1. Think strategically. Durant adds, "Great ideas don’t make money. The strategies that implement them do. We meet entrepreneurs who have us sign a NDA only for us to hear a business idea we have heard many times before. Ideas are cheap. Executing an idea is the challenge." No matter what your line of work is – it’s the people who lay out the road maps, define roles and conceptualize the questions that get paid the big money – and with good reason. Whether it’s baseball, insurance, custom web design, banking or engineering – strategic thinking and implementation is crucial to success. So remember, having great ideas is great – but without the strategic thinking to get it off the ground, it’ll remain just a great idea.
2. Try to avoid failure, but don’t be terrified of it. "Sure, no one wants to fail but the reality is that most business owners will eventually. There will be days where you fail small and there will be others where the sound of your ‘splat’ as you hit the wall will exceed all definitions of the word ‘spectacular'," says Durant. Yes, an entrepreneur will fail but it’s also important to realize that failure isn’t necessarily the end of your brand positioning.
In fact, Bop Design see many of their successful entrepreneur clients turn failures into educational moments and in some cases – new opportunities. "Entrepreneurs go to often-ridiculous lengths to avoid failures when sometimes if we just accepted it’s inevitability, we’d save a lot of time and money thanks to the great lessons it teaches. Don’t actively pursue failure, but don’t run from it – especially when there’s something valuable to be learned."
3. Learn to adapt and evolve. Bop Design frequently speaks with successful entrepreneurs in business for more than five or six years, and most of them tell them that their business is much different than they envisioned. "People change, markets change, demands change, prices change, you need to be able to go with the flow and make adjustments where appropriate if you’re going to enjoy long-term success."
4. Maintain discipline. They say the most successful businesses are the ones based on simple, repeatable systems. Sticking to those systems and processes can pay dividends. Durant adds, "The most valuable businesses we work with have defined processes. Employees change, market demands change but a proprietary process is typically the most valuable aspect of a business." Having a decision-making process, marketing strategy, vetting the people you allow into it, deciding how you prioritize your day – all these things can mean a lot for a successful entrepreneur and can bring sanity to even the most chaotic, random day.
5. Persistence. "Every successful entrepreneur we speak to tells us that the word ‘no’ is the background music of their life," states Durant. "It only takes a few great clients to build a wildly successful business. Many who say ‘no’ today often don’t say ‘no’ tomorrow." Bop Design advises that entrepreneurs do not get wrapped up in the naysayers. "It is pointless, deflating and counter-productive. One ‘yes’ a day is another colossal step towards your goal. Stay persistent and focused and you’ll always be close to the light at the end of the tunnel."
About Bop Design, San Diego Web Design
Bop Design is a boutique marketing communications firm headquartered in San Diego with offices also in New Jersey. We express a business' values through web design, branding, advertising and print design. The marketing agency also helps attract a firm's ideal customer through search engine optimization and search engine marketing. Bop Design's focus is on small businesses that want an external team of marketing specialists to help give their brand an edge in the marketplace.