Knoxville, TN (PRWEB) October 04, 2012
Brookhaven Retreat is preparing for Fire Prevention Week, which takes place on October 7-13. This year’s theme is “Have 2 Ways Out” and focuses on the importance of having a backup evacuation route. Fire Prevention Week provides Brookhaven Retreat, a residential treatment facility for women, the opportunity to educate its staff and clients about different ways they can prevent a fire and the procedures to take if there were a fire.
Brookhaven Retreat’s goal throughout the week is to ensure that all staff and employees understand the importance of fire safety. Due to Brookhaven Retreat being a residential facility, it is essential for everyone to know and understand the importance of what to do if there was a fire.
Brookhaven posts evacuation maps on the back of the doors for clients and staff to know where they should go in case of a fire. Brookhaven Retreat is prepared to “Have 2 Ways Out” for clients and staff because of our multiple doors that lead out of the buildings.
During Fire Prevention Week, Brookhaven Retreat will be implementing 9 tactics to ensure that all staff and clients are aware of Brookhaven Retreat Procedures.
1. All employees will be trained on Life Safety Fire Prevention measures and individual responsibilities that are set in place by Brookhaven Retreat for a Code Red Fire Emergency.
2. A quiz will be given to cover several key elements of the Life Safety Fire Prevention Program.
3. An unannounced fire drill will be conducted to ensure all evacuation procedures are followed.
4. Guaranteeing the correct type and size of fire extinguishers are located at all exits with the P.A.S.S. (pull, aim, squeeze and sweep) acronym displayed above each with instructions on how to use the extinguisher.
5. The risk manager will check fire extinguishers.
6. All employees will be informed on Brookhaven Retreat’s sprinkler system and where the Emergency Sprinkler shutoff valves are located.
7. Fire hydrants are inspected and cleared of any debris.
8. The risk manager will inspect all smoke detectors.
9. The executive director and the risk manager are members of the National Fire Protection Association.
For more information about Fire Prevention Week visit: http://www.nfpa.org/index.asp .
About Brookhaven Retreat
Brookhaven Retreat is a women's treatment center nestled on a naturally beautiful 48-acre site secluded in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. It has helped hundreds of women across the United States overcome depression, trauma, anxiety, substance use and a range of other behavioral health challenges. Brookhaven’s Founder, Jacqueline Dawes, has predicated its gender-specific treatment on “healing emotional breakage” for women. In this way, she has established a sanctuary and a place where women can feel safe, secure and cared for by a staff of highly trained professionals.