Minneapolis, MN (PRWEB) September 6, 2008
Capella University (http://www.capella.edu ), an accredited* online university, announced today that 10 current and prospective Capella University students have been awarded $5,000 scholarships to further their education in the field of human capital management. Six of the recipients are pursuing online doctoral degrees, two are enrolled in online master's degree programs, and two are pursing online bachelor's degrees. Capella currently offers 20 graduate and undergraduate specializations related to the field of human capital management.
More than 600 people applied for the merit-based scholarships. The 10 scholarship recipients were chosen based on their answers to five essay questions about their educational and professional goals, their interest and experience in human capital management, and their success in using human capital management principles to address workplace challenges and opportunities.
Most of the scholarship recipients are established human capital management professionals seeking to strengthen their skills and career options. Some recipients are well established in other fields, including law enforcement and counseling, and wish to use human capital management principles to make workplace advances within those fields. The scholarship recipients, listed with their hometown, degree program and specialization, and occupation, are:
- Chris Bratton, Round Rock, TX. MS in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology specialization. Consultant/retired police captain.
- Debra Brown, Jacksonville, FL. MS in Organization and Management, Human Resource Management specialization. HR advisor, utility firm.
- Tane Demo, Lynchburg, VA. PhD in Organization and Management, Leadership specialization. Training manager, pharmaceutical firm.
- John Luquette, Houston, TX. PhD in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology specialization. Senior counseling specialist, cancer center.
- Vanessa Nelson, Flint, MI. PhD in Organization and Management, Human Resource Management specialization. Labor relations analyst, medical center.
- Edmund Pax, Platte City, MO. PhD in Education, Training and Performance Improvement specialization. Technical training director, Fortune 500 defense and technology company.
- Cynthia Swanson, Davenport, IA. PhD in Education, Training and Performance Improvement specialization. School improvement consultant, regional educational agency.
- Patrick Tyler, Abington, MA. BS in Business, Management and Leadership specialization. Executive vice president and COO, ambulance service.
- Corey Welch, Sunnyvale, CA. PhD in Education, Training and Performance Improvement specialization. Senior director of global learning and development, software firm.
- Michele Wright, Austell, GA. BS in Business, Human Resource Management specialization. Director of account services, membership association.
Capella University offers a wide selection of online human capital management specializations at the doctoral, master's, and bachelor's levels. Capella was the first university to have three programs acknowledged as aligning with the Society for Human Resource Management's HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates. Worldwide, only 31 programs at 27 universities have been acknowledged by SHRM™ as being in alignment with its suggested guides and templates. Capella is also a SHRM-approved provider of the SHRM Learning System®, which prepares learners to take the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®) certification examinations. SHRM named Capella one of the top five online SHRM Learning System® providers in 2008.
About Capella University
Capella University (http://www.capella.edu) is an accredited*, fully online university that has built its reputation providing quality graduate education for working adults. Eighty-three percent of Capella students are currently enrolled in master's or doctoral degree programs in business, information technology, education, human services, psychology, public health, and public safety. Capella also offers bachelor's degree programs in business, information technology, and public safety. Within those areas, Capella currently offers 109 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 15 certificate programs. More than 23,700 learners were enrolled as of June 30, 2008, from all 50 states and 45 other countries. Capella is committed to providing high-caliber academic excellence and pursuing balanced business growth. Founded in 1993, Capella University is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Capella Education Company, headquartered in Minneapolis. For more information, please visit http://www.capella.edu or call 1-888-CAPELLA (227-3552).
- Capella University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), http://www.ncahlc.org.
Capella University, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 1-888-CAPELLA (227-3552), http://www.capella.edu.
Learn more about earning an online degree at Capella University:
online education (http://www.capella.edu/online_education.aspx)
distance learning (http://www.capella.edu/distance_learning.aspx)
online university (http://www.capella.edu/online_university.aspx)