Supermarket Weep: Weekly Shop Responsible for Thousands of Car Insurance Claims

Share Article

Accidents in supermarket car parks account for a substantial amount of UK car insurance claims, according to Swinton, the UK's leading high street insurance retailer.

Although most motorists are driving at low speeds in cars parks, a surprisingly high amount of accidents occur. Many drivers are too busy thinking about shopping and not concentrating on their driving leading to careless mistakes. These small bumps and scratches can have a big impact on car insurance premiums.

Swinton car insurance claims data revealed 65% of supermarket car park accidents were a result of 'bump and runs.' The remaining 35% were caused by a combination of runaway trolleys, parking gaffes and collisions with other vehicles.

Swinton is warning motorists to take extra care when they embark on their weekly food run as claims for damage such as scratched paintwork and dented bumpers can significantly affect motor insurance premiums.

The top five car park mishaps, reported by Swinton customers were:

  •     Bumps and scratches caused by drivers trying to reverse into tight parking bays
  •     Dents caused by banging car doors against another parked car
  •     Reversing into another car while trying to back out of a space
  •     Scrapes and scratches due to runaway shopping trolleys
  •     Missing 'give way' or 'one way' signs and colliding with another vehicle

Steve Chelton, Insurer Development Manager at Swinton said: "Although most motorists are driving at low speeds in cars parks, a surprisingly high amount of accidents occur. Many drivers are too busy thinking about shopping and not concentrating on their driving leading to careless mistakes. These small bumps and scratches can have a big impact on car insurance premiums."

For more information contact Michael Travers or Anoushka Foster at Manchester PR agency SKV Communications on 0161 838 7770 or email anoushka.foster(at)skvpr.co.uk

About Swinton

  •     With 580 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
  •     Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
  •     Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
  •     With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Anoushka Foster
Visit website