Retail car parks are exceptionally busy at this time of year, so we should all allow some extra time to find a park and to get in and out of shopping centre car parks
(PRWEB) December 15, 2009
NRMA Insurance – the Car Insurance provider in Queensland is urging drivers to show some Christmas cheer, with car park bingles expected to spike in line with the festive season's shopping frenzy.
NRMA Insurance claims research revealed a 19 per cent jump in parking prangs in Queensland last December, compared to the annual average*.
The NRMA Insurance research also found in Queensland:
- around one in six collisions is parking related
- Friday continues to be the most common day for a parking bingle
- no-one owns up in nearly 30 per cent of car park dings
- the majority of car park crashes happen in busy shopping centres and precincts.
NRMA Insurance spokesperson Frank Adler encouraged drivers to have patience and to show some courtesy in shopping centre car parks, especially at this time of year.
"Retail car parks are exceptionally busy at this time of year, so we should all allow some extra time to find a park and to get in and out of shopping centre car parks," he said.
"No-one wants a bingle adding extra angst as we head into Christmas."
Mr Adler said typical parking collisions involved reversing into other cars, runaway shopping trolleys and scrapes with pylons and poles.
NRMA Car Insurance offers these tips for less stressful Christmas parking:
- Obey the parking rules and traffic directions and be alert for other drivers who don't;
- When reversing in or out of a car space, go slow and don't just rely on your mirrors – look over your shoulder too;
- Reversing cameras and sensors can help, but drivers still need to be aware of what is around them;
- Where possible, reverse into a car space, so it's easier to see in both directions when pulling out;
- Do your bit by returning shopping trolleys to their bay;
- Use indicators every time you make a turn;
- Don't pull out around cars that are waiting to drive into a parking space – be patient and give them room to move;
- If you hit a parked car, do the right thing and leave a note with your details;
- If you witness a collision, pass on any information you have to the innocent party.
About NRMA Insurance Queensland
NRMA Insurance is a provider of Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance, Travel Insurance and more in Queensland.