Gillece Services Helps Beaver County Family Heat their Home after Carbon Monoxide Scare

Share Article

A family of ten who experienced a carbon monoxide leak in their Beaver County home Oct. 9 now has a brand new furnace thanks to Gillece Services. The story hit home with Gillece as they take carbon monoxide threats seriously and take steps to raise awareness about the importance of furnace safety.

Gillece Services

Gillece Services, the Pittsburgh Region's Trusted Provider of Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electrical Services

A family of ten who experienced a carbon monoxide leak in their Beaver County home Oct. 9 now has a brand new furnace thanks to Gillece Services. The story hit home with Gillece as they take carbon monoxide threats seriously and take steps to raise awareness about the importance of furnace safety. Gillece provided the family with a new, high efficiency furnace after learning about their situation.

Two women, Bonnie Shepherd and her daughter, Dawn, and eight children all reside in the home in Rochester, Beaver County. After the children became sick, Dawn suggested carbon monoxide as the cause, and they called 911 that morning. The family vacated the home, and the local gas company was called. A furnace inspection revealed a crack in the heat exchanger had caused the carbon monoxide leak. Dawn and the eight children were treated at Allegheny General Hospital where they were later released.

Gillece installed a 95% high efficiency furnace for the family following the incident. High efficiency furnaces help to save energy and operate more efficiently than older, low efficiency models. The new furnace will provide the family with better comfort while cutting down on heating costs.

Carbon monoxide, a deadly toxic gas, is responsible for hundreds of deaths each year, many of which are due to unseen emissions from furnaces. Because carbon monoxide has no color or odor, it cannot be detected aside from the use of a carbon monoxide alarm and professional inspection. The identification of symptoms such as headache, dizziness, vomiting, and delirium may also point to possible carbon monoxide exposure, as in the case of Shepherd and her family. The family did not have a carbon monoxide alarm in their home but said they planned to have one installed right away.

Gillece Services and experts such as the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission advise all homeowners to install CO alarms and to have their furnaces inspected annually. Preventative maintenance and furnace inspections can detect and address those furnace issues that cause carbon monoxide to be released into a home. Gillece offers preventative maintenance checks and furnace inspections for detecting internal cracks and breaks and other areas of concern. Annual inspections and routine maintenance help to keep a furnace in good condition and can prevent dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.

Gillece Services provides Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical, Waterproofing, Indoor Air Quality, and Water Quality services to Pittsburgh and the surrounding Southwestern Pa. region. Gillece is available to customers in the following counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Washington, and Westmoreland. For more information on the services that Gillece provides, visit http://www.gillece.com.

Learn more about the family’s story at http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/8-hospitalized-after-possible-carbon-monoxide-leak/nSYKM/.

For more information about carbon monoxide detection and prevention, visit http://www.cpsc.gov/info/co/index.html and http://www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Tom Gillece
Visit website