Effective Job Hunting Strategies Named for 2011 Job Search

Share Article

Professional job hunter Chris Pires and author of the book "Shred Your Resume and Find a Job Fast," assures job seekers that proven job hunting strategies combined with the right mentality will be significant to the success of their job hunting efforts for 2011.

News Image
Only 10-20 % of jobs get published on job boards or classified ads, and the remaining 80% remain unpublished. This large chunk of available jobs known as the "hidden job market" are only accessible to those within the network of these companies.

Professional job hunter Chris Pires and author of the book "Shred Your Resume and Find a Job Fast," assures job seekers that proven job hunting strategies combined with the right mentality will be significant to the success of their job hunting efforts for 2011.

As 2010 draws to a close the job market remains challenging with a steady 7.6% unemployment rate in Canada. In the US, the reported unemployment rate was at a staggering 9.3 % by the end of November. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in the U.K., covering the same month was at 7.7% according to the Office for National Statistics.

Pires noted some sectors that will continue to hire people and help stabilize the employment rates in Canada. These profitable industries include the health sector, information and technology; finance, and new media communication. Meanwhile, Pires also noted the continuing decline of employment in the manufacturing sector as reported by Statistics Canada; a downward trend that reached 10% in November.

This should very well guide job seekers to target their efforts to the more resilient and vibrant sectors, Pires added.

Pires created a niche for himself as an advocate for networking in the job search process. His book "Shred Your Resume and Find a Job Fast" narrates how he landed his first job through networking without even submitting a resume and cover letter to the company, a remarkable evidence that the networking strategy yields positive results, he said.

"Only 10-20 % of jobs get published on job boards or classified ads, and the remaining 80% remain unpublished. This large chunk of available jobs known as the "hidden job market" are only accessible to those within the network of these companies. Given the steep costs of advertising most companies only use this channel as a last resort," Pires said as he pointed out the value of networking to job seekers.

It is the best job hunting strategy as opposed to resume submission to companies. It gets your foot in the door and allows you first hand information on the company. Building relationships with hiring managers through this approach will give you more chances of success in landing a job, he explained further.

It's also important to maintain a positive attitude through this whole process. Looking for a fulfilling job is hard work in itself, and sometimes rejections could become frustrating. But job seekers should not take rejections to heart and must move on after experiencing one. Each day should be a fresh start. This is the mindset of job seekers who have successfully landed jobs.

Besides networking, Pires maintains that mentoring is an essentially effective strategy along with holding informational interviews. These approaches are people-oriented and are far from boring. These strategies connect you with people and allow you to build and nurture new relationships. Being successful in any career means having the right people skills. Through these strategies hiring managers can easily gauge how you will adapt to the company's environment, Pires stated.

Aside from actively promoting his book, Pires is tirelessly helping job seekers through giving talks at career conferences and coaching. More information about Pires and his book "Shred Your Resume and Find a Job Fast," are available at http://www.chrispires.com.

For more creative and practical job search tips, visit http://shredyourresume.com/.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Chris Pires
Visit website