Holmen, Wisconsin (PRWEB) May 14, 2013
Athanatos Christian Ministries popular Christian Writing Contest has expanded in 2013 with the addition of a children's book division. Deadline for entries to the children's book division is June 1, 2013.
Athanatos Christian Ministries is an apologetics ministry, which means that its core mission is the defense of the Christian faith. It has a significant emphasis on the arts and literature because it perceives that the culture has extraordinary influence on faith formation; usually a negative influence. For this reason, ACM encourages Christians to participate in the culture in meaningful ways with works of art that exhibit excellence.
Since it does have this perspective, entries will be viewed favorably when they explain or illuminate aspects of the Christian faith in such a way that they could plausibly be expected to ground a child more deeply in the faith or immunize them from objections and challenges to the faith they can expect to encounter. It is fully understood that there are limits to what a children’s book can accomplish in that regards, but it should be kept in mind that this is not simply a contest for ‘family-friendly’ children’s books. ACM has a reason for hosting these contests, and the prospective entrant should understand that reason before submitting their entry.
Note also that the ACM mindset of desiring, pursuing, and encouraging excellence dictates that we do not wish to dissuade people from submitting entries that are not explicitly ‘apologetic’ in nature. The best written and illustrated children’s book that is consistent with an orthodox Christian viewpoint will win.
As with all of ACM’s writing contests, every entry will receive a copy of the winning entries, if in fact ACM goes on to publish them. For this category, shipping is included. (This does not apply to international entrants.)
- Entries should be completely illustrated (but does not need to be full color). The entries will be judged based on the quality of the illustrations and the quality of the story.
- Cover images are encouraged but not required.
- Entry interior must be at least 16 pages and no longer than 70 pages.
- Book dimension size can be any standard book size.
- Entrants retain copyright control of their work. If a winner is extended an offer to publish, it is not required to accept.
- To the extent that a children’s book can communicate Christian theology, that theology should be solid, well-thought out theology.
- Communicating the idea that good behavior and moral conduct is the point of Christianity will be frowned upon.
Interested authors can find info on how to submit their entry by clicking here.