(PRWeb UK) July 28, 2009
Clondalkin Group, the international producer of flexible and specialist packaging products with 40+ production locations throughout Europe and North America and annual sales in excess of $1.2 billion, is pleased to announce the acquisition of Ohio-based Cleveland Plastic Films (“Cleveland”), a leading producer of customized and highly engineered flexible plastic films for banner, food and industrial applications.
Utilizing its extensive product development expertise and well-invested mono, co-extrusion and converting facilities, Cleveland is a leading innovator of high value-added films. Cleveland’s product offering includes a wide range of proprietary banner films developed in-house, including the certified self-extinguishing FlameGard LiteGard™ two-sided printable banner film and FlameGard Tuflok™ one-sided printable banner film. From its purpose-built production facility in Elyria, Ohio, Cleveland Plastics is well placed to deliver superior and prompt customer service throughout the Mid-West.
The acquisition expands Clondalkin Group’s North American industrial and institutional plastic packaging portfolio of specialist producers, which includes Accutech Films based in Coldwater, Ohio, Direct Plastics based in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada and Fortune Plastics, which has multiple production facilities in Connecticut, Tennessee, Illinois, Florida and Arizona.
Commenting on the acquisition, Norbert McDermott, CEO of Clondalkin Group, said: “The Cleveland acquisition is another important expansion of our product, technology and geographic capability in North America. Cleveland’s expertise in industrial plastic applications richly enhances our industrial offerings from Accutech Films and Direct Plastics. Adding Cleveland’s competencies to our existing capabilities further expands and improves Clondalkin’s product reach. At a time when many businesses are focused on service reduction and product rationalization our steady and consistent investment record demonstrates our focus on continuous improvement in our value-added and service propositions to our growing customer base. This is our fourth business acquisition in 24 months in North America, alongside record organic investments in our existing businesses. This sustained investment development activity reflects our financial capability. It also demonstrates our commitment to our core strategy throughout the economic cycle. I welcome Cleveland Plastics, its management and all its employees to Clondalkin Group where we have a proud record of growth in Europe and North America over the past 30 years.”
Jim Hendershot, Cleveland’s CEO, stated: “Joining Clondalkin Group is a very positive development for our employees and customers alike. With multiple plastic packaging plants in Europe and North America producing specialist films engineered to customer applications, Clondalkin Group is a fantastic collection of quality- and product-development led businesses. It offers us a unique platform as well as technical support to build on Cleveland’s proud record of product development and innovation. We are looking forward with enthusiasm to developing the many customer service opportunities that this acquisition presents to us.”
Paul Hogan, Clondalkin Group’s Director of Development said “Cleveland is deservedly acclaimed for its product development and service innovation record. This focus aligns the Cleveland customer service proposition very effectively with that of Clondalkin Group. We occupy leading positions in high-barrier, multi-layer, printed and biodegradable plastic films delivered to specialist applications in the industrial, food, beverage, retail, medical and agricultural & horticultural markets. Cleveland adds meaningfully to these offerings and its customer base will benefit from the expanded range of products and technologies that we will bring to it.”
For further information please contact Paul Hogan, Director of Development, Clondalkin Group Philadelphia at +1 (215) 440-0570.
Notes to Editors
- Clondalkin Group is an international producer of high value added packaging products and services with over 40 production locations in 10 different countries throughout Europe and North America and annual sales in excess of €900 million / $1.2 billion a year
- Clondalkin comprises of two divisions, the Flexible Packaging Division and Specialist Packaging Division, employing more than 4,000 people
- The Flexible Packaging Division, which represents 70% of sales, includes our foil and laminate businesses and plastic and polymer businesses
- The Flexible Packaging Division specialises in coated and laminated waxed papers and foils, pre-cut lids, polymer-based sheets, rolls, sleeves and bags with more than 20 production locations throughout Europe and North America including, Vaassen Flexible Packaging, Nyco, Chadwicks, AP Burt, LPF Packaging, Wentus, Van Der Windt Group, Cats and Hansel, Accutech Films, Direct Plastics and Fortune Plastics
- The Specialist Packaging Division, which represents 30% of sales, includes our folding cartons, labels, leaflets, literature and inserts / outserts businesses and paper packaging and printing businesses
- The Specialist Packaging Division specialises in cartons, labels, leaflets and inserts, and has approximately 20 manufacturing sites in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, the United States and Puerto Rico and Ireland. These include well-known brands such as Boxes, Harlands, Ditone, Pharmagraphics Guy, Kenilworth Products, Cartonplex and Keller Crescent
- Clondalkin Group occupies leading positions in the following markets
o Pharmaceutical & Healthcare;
o Cosmetics & Toiletries;
o Food & Beverage;
o Biodegradable Packaging;
o Confectionery & Bakery;
o Agricultural & Horticultural; and
o Services & Leisure.
- Clondalkin Group has extensive experience in all packaging converting technologies including extrusion, metalizing, laminating, lacquering, printing and finishing and works with all the major packaging substrates including paper, board, plastics, foils and laminates
pmhogan (at) clondalkin-group.com