Retail car parks are exceptionally busy at this time of year, so we should all allow some extra time to find a park and get in and out of shopping centre car parks
(PRWEB) December 15, 2009
Car Insurance provider SGIO is urging WA drivers to show some Christmas cheer, with car park bingles expected to spike in line with the festive season’s shopping frenzy.
SGIO claims research revealed a 16 per cent jump in parking prangs in WA last December, compared to the annual average*.
The SGIO research also found in WA:
- around one in five collisions is parking related;
- Friday continues to be the most common day for a parking prang;
- no-one owns up in nearly 30 per cent of car park bingles; and
- the majority of car park crashes happen in busy shopping centres and precincts.
SGIO spokesperson Rob Cory encouraged drivers to have patience and to show some courtesy in shopping centre car parks, especially at this time of year. “Retail car parks are exceptionally busy at this time of year, so we should all allow some extra time to find a park and get in and out of shopping centre car parks,” he said. “No-one wants a bingle adding extra angst as we head into Christmas.”
Mr Cory said typical parking collisions involved reversing into other cars, runaway shopping trolleys and scrapes with pylons and poles.
SGIO offers these tips for less stressful Christmas parking:
- Obey the parking rules and traffic directions and be alert for other drivers who don’t;
- When reversing in or out of a car space, go slow and don’t just rely on your mirrors;
- Reversing cameras and sensors help, but we need to be aware of what’s around us;
- If possible, reverse into a space, so you can see in both directions when pulling out;
- Do your bit by returning shopping trolleys to their bay;
- Use indicators every time you make a turn;
- Don’t pull out around cars waiting to drive into a space – be patient;
- If you hit a parked car, do the right thing and leave a note with your details;
- If you witness a collision, pass on any information you have to the innocent party.
*Based on SGIO comprehensive car insurance claims 2008/09
SGIO is a provider of Travel Insurance, Home Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance, Car Insurance and more in Western Australia.
Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as SGIO:
For many insurance products a Product Disclosure Statement is available from SGIO which you should consider before making decisions about those products. Insurance issued by Insurance Australia Limited trading as SGIO 46 Colin St, West Perth, Western Australia 6005 . sgio.com.au